NFL, NBA, NHL stats

Revenge, Sweet Revenge

May 19, 2007 - arenafootball2 (af2) - Louisville Fire News Release

Louisville, KY - The Louisville Fire team started off on Military night by keeping the Alabama Steeldogs at bay. On the opening drive the Steeldogs were unsuccessful on the fourth down conversion and defensive back Matt Forbes almost added two more interceptions to his resume. Opening up for the Fire, QB Joel Steel was sacked by offensive lineman Eric Scott. After a failed drive by the Fire the Steeldogs again tried their hand at scoring first. However their plan was halted when defensive back Nate Green intercepted a pass from Mitch Tanney. Joel Steele ignited the Fire fans when he completed a pass to Tony Stallings to give the Fire a 6-0 lead. At the end of the first half Steele again connected for another touchdown, this time with Quorey Payne.

To open the second quarter the Fire kept the heat on as the Steeldogs continued to struggle. After a Steeldogs punt, Tony Stallings had a 25 yard return to put the Fire in excellent scoring distance. Joel again connected with Payne which in turn resulted in a roughing the passer penalty to move the Fire only closer to the goal line. Immediately following the penalty Tony Stallings carried the ball into the endzone and Dave Hendrix followed with an extra point to give the Fire a 20-0 command. During the following drive by Alabama the Steeldogs wide receiver Markeith Cooper ran in for the first Steeldog touchdown of the night. With one minute left in the quarter Fire offensive lineman Eddie Yauch sacked QB Mitch Tanney knocking the ball loose allowing Jerome Walker to recover. As only seconds remained in the quarter Tony Stallings ran in for a touchdown to close the half. Halftime score Fire: 27 Alabama: 7.

The Fire opened the second half blazing up the field as Jerome Walker got a fumble recovery and then sprinted up the field 31 yards for another Fire touchdown, making the score 33-7. Minutes after the initial score linebacker Demetrius Forney had a two yard carry and Dave Hendrix added the extra point to put the Fire ahead 40-7. The Alabama Steeldogs answered by driving up the field as Markeith Cooper again made the touchdown. The Fire still held the lead 40-14. With 3:46 remaining in the third quarter Matt Forbes was finally able to add another interception to his stats as he picked off Mitch Tanney. As time ran out in the third, Joel Steele and Tony Stallings joined up to heat up the game even more. The touchdown put the Fire ahead 47-14.

The Steeldogs opened the fourth quarter with Jon Olinger scoring a touchdown making the score 47-21. When the Fire got their chance at the ball they lit up the field only to miss a field goal attempt. However, on the first drive for the Steeldogs, Nate Green racked up another interception for the night. On the following drive Steele and Lawrence Matthews hooked up to give the Fire and even bigger lead, 53-21. As the time wound down Joel Steele's pass was intercepted by David Philyaw. With only:08 seconds left in the game the Steeldogs scored again making the score 53-35. On the kickoff the Steeldogs got their own recovery as the ball bounced off the crossbar and into a fellow players hand. The Fire held on to win 53-35 in front of a home crowd of 9,872.

• Discuss this story on the arenafootball2 message board...

arenafootball2 Stories from May 19, 2007

The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.

Other Recent Louisville Fire Stories

Sports Statistics from the Stats Crew