Rascals Defeat Crushers
O'FALLON, MO - The Lake Erie Crushers, presented by Mercy, dropped their series opener with the River City Rascals, 7-3, on Tuesday night. The Crushers (23-30) saw their losing streak extended to four games while the Rascals (29-27) took the first meeting between the two teams in 2017.
The Crushers opened the scoring early in the first inning. L.J. Kalawaia led off with a double, and Sean Hurley brought him in with a two-out single to give Lake Erie a 1-0 advantage after one.
After a quiet first two innings, the Rascals jumped ahead with a three-run third. Johnny Morales led off with a single, and Brandon Thomas drew a base on balls to put runners on first and second. After Jimmy Kerrigan singled in Morales, River City executed a double steal to put two men in scoring position. Josh Silver took advantage of the opportunity, knocking in both runners with double to put the Rascals on top, 3-1.
River City added another trio of runs in the fourth. Josh Ludy started the rally with a one-out single, and Morales put men on first and second with a walk in the next at bat. Two batters later, Kerrigan smacked an RBI single, leaving runners on second and third, and Jason Merjano followed up with a two-run single to give the Rascals a 6-1 lead.
The Crushers battled back in the seventh. Hurley led off with his third base knock of the night, and Josh McAdams launched a shot over the wall in right-center to pull Lake Erie within three.
River City answered back in the bottom half of the inning, plating a run on a pair of hits. Mike Jurgella lifted a double to left-center, moving to third on a bobbled ball by left fielder Connor Simonetti. In the next at bat, Clint Freeman polished off the scoring with an RBI single to push the Rascals' lead to 7-3.
Juan Caballero shouldered the loss for the Crushers. Caballero (3-2) surrendered six earned runs on as many hits while walking three and fanning three in four innings of work. The Crushers and Rascals continue their series at 6:35 p.m. CDT on Wednesday. Payton Lobdell (1-3, 7.09) will make the game two start for Lake Erie.
• Discuss this story on the Frontier League message board...
Frontier League Stories from July 20, 2017
- Cortina Goes Deep Twice, Miners Fall in Slugfest - Southern Illinois Miners
- Boomers Rally to Matinee Victory - Schaumburg Boomers
- Winning Ways Continue as Rascals Beat Crushers - River City Rascals
- Slammers Walk Off; Win Fourth Straight - Joliet Slammers
- Parish Dominates in Debut, Miners Shut out Wild Things - Southern Illinois Miners
- First Inning Slows Boomers in Series Opening Loss - Schaumburg Boomers
- Beach Bums Offense Dampened by CornBelters - Traverse City Beach Bums
- Rascals Defeat Crushers - River City Rascals
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.