Rascals Blank Freedom in Opener
O'FALLON, Mo. - The River City Rascals started their series against the Florence Freedom in style on Tuesday night, winning 4-0 in the opener from CarShield Field. Brendan Feldmann (1-0) was stellar in his second start of the season, allowing just four hits over seven scoreless innings with two walks and four strikeouts. Rascals infielder Zach Lavy recorded three hits in his season debut.
Trevor Achenbach put the Rascals on the board with his RBI triple in the third inning. Braxton Martinez made it 2-0 with his RBI single later in the frame. Artemis Kadkhodaian then doubled the lead with his two-run single in the sixth. Anthony Herrera and Yeison Medina each had a scoreless inning to close out the game from the Rascals bullpen.
Freedom starter Frank Valentino (3-3) took the loss, allowing a season-worst 12 hits in seven innings. He allowed four runs (two earned) and struck out five without issuing a walk.
The Rascals (18-15) and Freedom (20-12) are off tomorrow, and will play a doubleheader on Thursday to finish out the series. First pitch for Game 1 of the twin-bill is set for 5:05 p.m. CDT. Alex Winkelman is expected to take the mound in the opener for the Rascals.
• Discuss this story on the Frontier League message board...
Frontier League Stories from June 18, 2019
- Ryan Goes "Long" as the Otters Win 5-4 - Evansville Otters
- Miners Win Sixth Straight Game, Beat Windy City - Southern Illinois Miners
- Freedom Shutout in Opener with Rascals - Florence Y'alls
- Grizzlies Drop Opener in Extra Innings - Gateway Grizzlies
- Boomers End up on Short End of Pitcher's Duel - Schaumburg Boomers
- Rascals Blank Freedom in Opener - River City Rascals
- Crusher pitching shines in 3-2 victory in 11 innings - Lake Erie Crushers
- 7th Inning Home Run Dooms Wild Things in Series Opener - Washington Wild Things
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.