Rapids' Santa Claus Revealed
Buffalo, NY. The ABA Buffalo Rapids professional basketball team are pleased to announce that Dan Robbie, former NFL Miami Dolphins' owner, has taken over the operations of the team. According to Robbie, "The Buffalo fans are the most loyal I've ever experienced. The Dolphins/Bills rivalry is one of the fiercest in all of sports. While considering my potential involvement with the Rapids and its prospects for success, fan loyalty and community support were two of the most important concerns. For the Rapids to succeed, the city and the community must support them. I believe they will."
Dan Robbie acted as President of Joe Robbie Stadium and Executive VP of Operations for the Miami Dolphins. After his father's passing, Dan along with his family operated the Dolphins and negotiated the sale to the present owner, Wayne Huizenga. In Dan's 15 years with the Dolphins, he worked his way up the ladder in all aspects of the team's business operations: ticket sales, concessions, licensing of club suites, etc. Joe Robbie Stadium was the NFL's first privately owned and funded stadium, an accomplishment the Robbie family cherishes. And a feat he hopes to repeat in Buffalo.
Robbie added, "We can only hope that the fan enthusiasm and loyalty for the Bills will carry over to the Rapids. The only question left unanswered is how Tim Hardaway and the Miami residents will react should the Pit Bulls and Rapids meet center court. I know who I will be cheering for. (Plans are being made to make that happen).
"I can't compliment GM/Coach Rich Jacob, Bryan Perry, Tim Simco and the players enough for their patience and assistance in this transition," said Robbie.
ProLink Sports Marketing, Inc. (D.Robbie/T. Wier) will own the new Rapids with Dan Robbie serving as Chairman, Rich Jacob staying on as GM/Head Coach, assisted by Tyrone Thomas, Player/Assistant Coach. Bob Bateson will remain as strength/conditioning coach. Day to day business operations will be handled by Thaddeus Wier, assisted by Bryan Perry and Tim Simco, former of the Buffalo Bisons.
Note: OurSports Central no longer actively covers the American Basketball Association (ABA) as a professional league due in part to its inability to publish and play a schedule and the transitory nature of many of its teams. For information on professional minor leagues, please see OSC's basketball section.
• Discuss this story on the American Basketball Association message board...
American Basketball Association Stories from December 22, 2005
- Xplosion roll over Rockers - Pittsburgh Xplosion
- Xplosion announce schedule updates - Pittsburgh Xplosion
- ABA Salute presents new lapel pins - ABA
- Talons Remain Undefeated - ABA
- Rapids' Santa Claus Revealed - Buffalo Silverbacks
- Imperiali Organization Adds New ABA Basketball Team in West Palm Beach to Their Portfolio - Palm Beach Imperials
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.
Other Recent Buffalo Silverbacks Stories
- Buffalo Select All-Stars To Square Off Against Italian National Team
- Sahlen and "Do Your Best, Never Quit" making an impact
- "Do Your Best, Never Quit" at the Delavan-Grider Community Center
- "Do Your Best, Never Quit" at the Erie County Juvenile Detention Center
- Buffalo Silverbacks Name Head Coach