Sahlen and "Do Your Best, Never Quit" making an impact
"Do Your Best, Never Quit", official community outreach initiative of the Buffalo Silverbacks, recently received a letter from Linda Hansen, Director of Youth & Family Services at the T.J. Dulski Community Center. She wrote:
As you know from meeting with the Dulski youth and staff that we were unable to retain our teen population due to inadequate equipment and poor building conditions. You took those facts and put "Do Your Best, Never Quit" into action. As a result of your efforts over seventy-five volunteers from Home Depot and AmeriCorps along with other friends and neighbors, signed up for the MLK Day of Service and rolled up their sleeves to do "their best" and help the T.J. Dulski Centers' recreation room transform from a dilapidated room into a fresh, safe and inviting space for our youth to enjoy.
For the kids the best part was you listening to them and allowing them to take the lead and be an active part in all aspects of the room's transformation. They now realize ownership of the room and will value this experience and opportunity.
Our teens also learned a valuable lesson about people pulling their resources together and accomplishing great things. The recreation room and Envirolab makeover was evidence for them to choose productive activities over possible destructive activities.
Many parents and guardians depend on the Dulski Center's programs and staff to help with tutoring, productive and educational activities and a safe haven for their children. Our neighbors also appreciate a place for the kids to hang out instead of doorways and street corners.
This experience was amazing in so many ways. I was proud to honor Dr. Martin Luther King that day and watch a dream come true. Thank you Modie and "Do Your Best, Never Quit".
Note: OurSports Central no longer actively covers the American Basketball Association (ABA) as a professional league due in part to its inability to publish and play a schedule and the transitory nature of many of its teams. For information on professional minor leagues, please see OSC's basketball section.
• Discuss this story on the American Basketball Association message board...
American Basketball Association Stories from February 3, 2008
- Sahlen and "Do Your Best, Never Quit" making an impact - Buffalo Silverbacks
- Tycoon Tidbits - Texas Tycoons
- Vermont's Gallant Effort Falls Just Short - Vermont Frost Heaves
- Gladiators Sweep Two of the Top ABA Teams on Successive Nights - Orange County Gladiators
- Manchester Takes Down #1 Vermont Again - Saint John Riptide
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.
Other Recent Buffalo Silverbacks Stories
- Buffalo Select All-Stars To Square Off Against Italian National Team
- Sahlen and "Do Your Best, Never Quit" making an impact
- "Do Your Best, Never Quit" at the Delavan-Grider Community Center
- "Do Your Best, Never Quit" at the Erie County Juvenile Detention Center
- Buffalo Silverbacks Name Head Coach