Rangers Prospect Garand Named WHL Goaltender of the Week
January 24, 2022 - Western Hockey League (WHL) News Release
The Western Hockey League announced today that Kamloops Blazers goaltender Dylan Garand has been named WHL Goaltender of the Week for the week ending January 23, 2022.
Garand, a prospect of the New York Rangers, posted a 1.50 goals-against average and .947 save percentage in a pair of victories versus the Prince George Cougars.
The product of Victoria, B.C. started his week with a 31-save performance Friday, January 21 as the Blazers posted a 5-1 victory at Prince George.
Garand then stopped 23 shots Saturday, January 22 as Kamloops marked its return to the Sandman Centre with a 3-2 win over the Cougars.
The 19-year-old was previously named WHL Goaltender of the Week for the week ending November 7, 2021. He also earned WHL Goaltender of the Month honours for the month of November.
He currently leads the WHL with a 2.04 goals-against average and is tied for top spot among WHL goaltenders with 19 wins this season.
Garand was originally selected by the Kamloops Blazers in the third round of the 2017 WHL Draft. In 116 career WHL regular season appearances, all with the Blazers, the 6-foot-1, 181-pound netminder has compiled a 75-28-4-2 record, to go along with a 2.33 goals-against average, .917 save percentage and 10 shutouts.
He was selected by the New York Rangers in the fourth round of the 2020 NHL Draft, signing his entry-level contract in December of 2021.
Garand and the Kamloops Blazers are scheduled to play four games this coming week, beginning with a home contest Wednesday, January 26 versus the Vancouver Giants (7:00 p.m. PT, Sandman Centre).
• Discuss this story on the Western Hockey League message board...
Western Hockey League Stories from January 24, 2022
- Pats Host Rival Raiders on Tuesday - Regina Pats
- Hurricanes vs. Blades Game Postponed - Lethbridge Hurricanes
- Winterhawks Weekly: Hawks' Point Streak Hits 11 as Team Sweeps Three-In-Three - Portland Winterhawks
- January 25 Game Postponed - Medicine Hat Tigers
- Alberta Trip this Week Postponed, WHL Announces Rescheduling of Two Games - Saskatoon Blades
- WHL Announces Return to Team Activities for Wheat Kings and Rockets; Changes to Seven WHL Regular Season Games - WHL
- Warriors Look to Finish Strong Road Trip with Win in Edmonton - Moose Jaw Warriors
- Former Rebels Goalie Toth Served as Vancouver Canucks Emergency Backup in Sunday's Loss to Blues - Red Deer Rebels
- Preview: Rockets At Royals - Kelowna Rockets
- Sharks Prospect Robins Named WHL Player of the Week - Saskatoon Blades
- Royals Prepare for Rockets and Blazers to End Two-Week Drive - Victoria Royals
- Rangers Prospect Garand Named WHL Goaltender of the Week - WHL
- Sharks Prospect Robins Named WHL Player of the Week - WHL
- Join Us for Hockey Day in Canada this Saturday - Moose Jaw Warriors
- Chiefs Force Overtime in Final Seconds, Fall 5-4 in Portland - Spokane Chiefs
- Portland Completes Perfect Weekend with Thrilling Overtime Win against Spokane - Portland Winterhawks
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.