Rainmen Advance to Atlantic Division Finals with Victory over Moncton
(Halifax,NS): The Halifax Rainmen punched their ticket to the Atlantic Division finals with an emphatic showing in Moncton Tuesday night, defeating the Miracles 112-83, and taking the series three games to one. Halifax will now face the winner of the Saint John Mill Rats and Island Storm series.
While the first quarter of play left much to be desired from both teams Halifax was able to come out with the 23-15 lead. Moncton had trouble early on from the free throw line, and it would be a running theme for them, only shooting 10 for 27 over the course of the game. The second quarter was a different story as both teams began to play to their potential, with Moncton getting hot from beyond the arc late in the quarter, closing the Rainmen lead to seven points at the half, 49-42. As the teams headed into the half it became clear Halifax needed to neutralize Moncton's three point shooting if they hoped to close out the series.
In the second half Halifax's defense took over, holding the Miracles to just 41 points over the final two frames., while putting up 63 of their own. As the Rainmen lead increased Moncton could find no answers as time ticked away on the game, and their season. In the final frame the Halifax lead would reach 32 points, before the game finally ended 112-83 in favour of the Rainmen.
Kevin Young led Halifax scorers with 23 points. Tyrone Watson had 14 points off the bench. Liam McMorrow had a double double for the Rainmen, with 14 points and a huge 17 rebounds. The Miracles were led by Shawn Vanzant, who had 23 points. Daquan Brooks nailed 20 points for Moncton, with 18 of them coming from beyond the arc. Tyler Murray pulled down 10 board.
Halifax now awaits the winner of game five between the Saint John Mill Rats and the Island Storm. The deciding game in that series will be played Thursday, March 12th at 7pm in Charlottetown.
• Discuss this story on the National Basketball League of Canada message board...
National Basketball League of Canada Stories from March 10, 2015
- Fourth Quarter Comeback Gives Express 2-0 Lead - Windsor Express
- Power Lose Game 2 Late in Fourth - Mississauga Power
- Miracles End Season in Game 4 to Rainmen - Moncton Miracles
- Rainmen Advance to Atlantic Division Finals with Victory over Moncton - Halifax Rainmen
- Mill Rats Extend Series to a Deciding Game 5 - Saint John Riptide
- Mill Rats Force Deciding Game Thursday at Eastlink - Island Storm
- Halifax Looks to Close out Series Tonight in Moncton - Halifax Rainmen
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.
Other Recent Halifax Rainmen Stories
- Players, Fans and Supporters Cheated out of Championship
- Rainmen Owner to Offer Comment and Clarification
- Tonight's Championship Game Canceled
- Rainmen Viewing Party for the Championship Game at Bubba Ray's Sports Bar
- Halifax Drops Game Six After Stunning Second Half Collapse