Raiders, Silvertips Remain in Top Five of Kia CHL Top 10 Rankings to Close out 2018
December 19, 2018 - Western Hockey League (WHL) News Release
Toronto, Ont. - The Canadian Hockey League today announced the week 14 edition of the Kia CHL Top-10 Rankings for the 2018-19 season. The weekly rankings of the CHL's Top-10 teams are selected by a panel of National Hockey League scouts.
Leading the pack once again were the Prince Albert Raiders, who became the first team in the Western Hockey League and CHL to surpass the 30-win mark this season. They did so by earning a 6-5 overtime win against the Edmonton Oil Kings, 6-4 win on the road against the Swift Current Broncos, and a 7-5 win at home against the Broncos the following night to head into the holiday break on a three-game winning streak. Toronto Maple Leafs prospect Ian Scott made his commitment to the National Hockey League club official last week, signing a three-year, entry-level contract with the team Friday. Despite leaving to attend Canada's National Junior Selection camp for the 2019 IIHF World Junior Championship, Scott still leads the WHL with a 1.61 goals-against-average, 0.943 save percentage, and four shutouts. His 23 wins currently rank second among all WHL goaltenders. The Raiders return to action Thursday, December 27 (7:00 p.m. CT) when they take on the Saskatoon Blades.
Holding onto the fifth spot in the Kia CHL Top 10 Rankings for another week were the Everett Silvertips, who enjoy a 10-point lead atop the WHL's Western Conference and a 14-point lead for the U.S. Division. After suffering a 4-3 shootout loss to the Spokane Chiefs last Wednesday, the Silvertips rebounded with a 4-1 win over Vancouver and a 6-1 defeat of the Seattle Thunderbirds. Captain Connor Dewar (Minnesota Wild) entered the holiday break with 46 points (24G-22A) in 32 games, putting him on pace to set career-high totals in goals, assists, and points. He's also nearly matched his total of game-winning goals from last year, posting five in 32 games this season, tying him for second in the league, as compared to six in 68 games last season. The Silvertips will resume play against the Chiefs in Spokane, Wash. on Friday, December 28 (7:05 p.m. PT).
Rounding out the trio of WHL teams in the Kia CHL Top 10 this week were the Vancouver Giants, who are ranked eighth following a win and two losses in three games over the past seven days. Milos Roman (Calgary Flames) headed into the holiday break with 29 points (16G-13A) in 30 games, nearly surpassing his total of 32 points (10G-22A) from last season. The Giants will end December by beginning a road trip through the Central Division, beginning with a test Friday, December 28 (7:00 p.m. MT) against the Red Deer Rebels.
Kia CHL Top 10 Rankings - Week 14:
Rank: Team: Last Week Rank: Number of Weeks Ranked:
1 Prince Albert Raiders (31-2-0-1) 1 12
2 Rouyn-Noranda Huskies (28-6-0-1) 2 11
3 Ottawa 67's (25-6-3-1) 3 11
4 London Knights (23-5-2-1) 4 10
5 Everett Silvertips (27-7-1-1) 5 5
6 Drummondville Voltigeurs (25-7-1-0) 7 9
7 Halifax Mooseheads (24-7-1-1) 8 14
8 Vancouver Giants (22-8-2-0) 6 12
9 Baie-Comeau Drakkar (23-9-1-1) 9 12
10 Niagara IceDogs (20-7-5-0) - 4
Sault Ste. Marie Greyhounds (21-8-4-1) - 3
Sudbury Wolves (21-9-1-1) - 1
Moncton Wildcats (23-10-2-1) - 7
• Discuss this story on the Western Hockey League message board...
Western Hockey League Stories from December 19, 2018
- Raiders, Silvertips Remain in Top Five of Kia CHL Top 10 Rankings to Close out 2018 - WHL
- Silvertips Collect Franchise Record 9,719 Stuffed Animals Donated Through Teddy Bear Toss - Everett Silvertips
- Americans to Host Chiefs for Annual New Year's Eve Game - Tri-City Americans
- Seven Hitmen Prospects to Play in Mac's Tournament - Calgary Hitmen
- Kia CHL Top 10 Rankings Unveiled - WHL
- Prospect Grady Lane Named to Team Manitoba - Spokane Chiefs
- Giants Prospect Justin Lies to Represent Manitoba at 2019 Canada Winter Games - Vancouver Giants
- Last Week around the Leagues - OSC Original by Fran Stuchbury
- Carter Hart Earns 1st Star Victory with Philadelphia Flyers as 19th Former Silvertips Player to Make his NHL Debut - Everett Silvertips
- Sweden and Russia dazzle in front of sold-out crowd - Kelowna Rockets
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.