Preview: Rising at Vegas, Tomorrow at 2 PM
Phoenix Rising FC (19-5-5, 61 PTS) dropped a 1-0 decision to Orange County on Wednesday night in Irvine, California. Phoenix dominated possession (57.7%) and outshot Orange County 14-12, but was unable to overcome an early goal by Orange County's Ben Mines.
The defending Western Conference Champions now head to Las Vegas on Saturday, October 16 (2 PM), for what could be the final road match of the season. Vying for the best overall record in the league with Tampa Bay (20-7-1, 61 PTS) and El Paso (16-2-10, 58 PTS), Phoenix would host each round of the 2021 playoffs at Wild Horse Pass if it can finish the regular season atop the league table.
Rising is 8-5-2 on the road, one of three teams in the league to win eight matches away this season, along with Tampa (8-5-1) and Birmingham (8-4-3).
Vegas and Phoenix are meeting for the fourth time this season. While Rising had decisive wins at home vs. Lights FC, the two teams split the spoils, 2-2, last time out at Cashman Field on August 7.
Rising Head Coach Rick Schantz says his team is prepared for the tough atmosphere in Las Vegas, and despite defeating the Lights 4-1 in its most-recent matchup, Phoenix not be overlooking this youthful squad.
"It's good we understand what the atmosphere there is like," said Schantz. "A lot of our guys hadn't played there before. They didn't realize what a circus it was. You've got a difficult field. It's a bit smaller. You have a very good, energetic, young team that can cover more space in smaller spaces. It can be challenging. For us, coming off a loss, it's important we take it very seriously."
After dropping points to Orange County on Wednesday, Phoenix will be eager to get three points as it attempts to hold off Tampa Bay and finish with the best regular-season record in the league.
Undefeated at Wild Horse Pass (11-0-3) this season, Rising would be the odds-on favorite to claim the 2021 USL Championship trophy this postseason, if all its matches are played at home. It may still be the favorite even if the league final is played in Tampa... where Rising has some unfinished business.
• Discuss this story on the United Soccer League Championship message board...
United Soccer League Championship Stories from October 15, 2021
- Rowdies Settle for a Point against New York - Tampa Bay Rowdies
- 901 FC to Auction Autographed Warm-Up Jerseys for Cancer Care Fund - Memphis 901 FC
- Real Monarchs Welcome Austin Bold FC to Zions Bank Stadium - Real Monarchs SLC
- Preview: Rising at Vegas, Tomorrow at 2 PM - Phoenix Rising FC
- Match Preview: ATL UTD 2 vs. Memphis 901 FC - Atlanta United 2
- Preview: Riverhounds SC at Miami FC - Pittsburgh Riverhounds SC
- Match Preview: Legion FC at OKC Energy FC - Sunday, October 17 - Birmingham Legion FC
- Match Preview: Republic FC vs. Tacoma Defiance - Sacramento Republic FC
- Memphis on Brink of Clinching First Playoff Berth in Club History - Memphis 901 FC
- Athletic Return to Dillon for Rematch with Loudoun United - Hartford Athletic
- What to Watch for with LouCity at Indy Eleven - Louisville City FC
- Game Information and Match Notes - SAFC vs. FC Tulsa - San Antonio FC
- Preview: FC Tulsa at San Antonio FC, Saturday, October 16, 7:30 p.m. - FC Tulsa
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.
Other Recent Phoenix Rising FC Stories
- Phoenix Rising FC Signs Hamilton High School Alumni, Channing Chasten
- Rising to Open 2022 Season at Wild Horse Pass on Saturday, March 12
- 2022: the Roster So Far...
- Phoenix Rising FC Signs Midfielder Carlos Anguiano
- Rising Assistant Coach Juan Guerra to Take over as Head Coach of Oakland Roots