Preview: Nashville SC Puts Unbeaten Run on the Line against Indy Eleven
NASHVILLE - After earning a solid 1-0 victory on the road over Birmingham Legion FC, Nashville Soccer Club will continue its road swing with a trip to Indianapolis to take on Indy Eleven on Saturday night. Kickoff is scheduled for 6:00 p.m. CT.
Nashville has gone unbeaten in its last four matches and has scored 10 goals over that stretch across all competitions.
How to Follow
Local TV: MyTV30
Local English Radio: ESPN 94.9 Game 2
Digital Stream: ESPN+
Last Time Out
Nashville SC beat Birmingham Legion FC 1-0 on the road on Wednesday night in front of a national TV audience on ESPNews. Despite Nashville dominating possession and finding numerous scoring opportunities in the early minutes, the Boys in Gold couldn't get on the scoreboard before halftime. In the second half, Nashville continued to own the ball, and finally got a goal on a Daniel Ríos penalty kick. Alan Winn earned the penalty after turning past a defender and getting taken down from behind going towards goal, and Ríos capitalized with a powerful finish down the middle from the spot. The win was Nashville's first in front of a national television audience.
Indy Eleven was founded in 2013 and played in the North American Soccer League before moving to the USL in 2018. It finished one spot ahead of Nashville SC in the 2018 USL Eastern Conference standings and lost in the first round of the USL Cup Playoffs 4-1 to Louisville City FC. Going into this season, Indy loaded up its roster with talent from around the league, including former FC Cincinnati keeper Evan Newton, former Cincinnati midfielder Kenney Walker, former Charleston Battery midfielder Neveal Hackshaw and former Orange County SC forward Thomas Enevoldsen.
This season, they sit in fifth place in the standings and have gone 2-1-2 in the last five matches.
Storylines to Watch
Looking for a Breakthrough
Indy was the only team that Nashville was unable to earn a result from in 2018. This will be Nashville SC's first chance in 2019 to break that trend and get points off of Indy Eleven. In April 2018, Nashville lost 2-1 to Indy on the road at Lucas Oil Stadium, and in June, Indy broke a lengthy Nashville unbeaten run with a 2-0 win at First Tennessee Park.
Nashville SC's road form this season has been a major part of its strong record and second-place standing going into the weekend. The Boys in Gold have won three matches on the road in 2019, nearly matching the 2018 total of four road wins. In addition, Nashville has lost just once on the road and has earned two draws. If Nashville wins in Indianapolis on Saturday night, it would mark the first three-match road winning streak in club history.
Catching Mr. Jones
Wednesday's win over Birmingham Legion FC was also the league debut of new MLS acquisition Derrick Jones, who played 26 minutes as a substitute in the midfield. He put up some solid numbers, boasting an 82.4% passing accuracy on 17 passes. Jones made his first appearance in a gold shirt earlier this month in a U.S. Open Cup win over South Georgia Tormenta FC 2. If he is back in the squad for the Indy match, he could make an impact as a midfield distributor.
• Discuss this story on the United Soccer League Championship message board...
United Soccer League Championship Stories from May 23, 2019
- Calling all dogs! Lights FC host first ever Paws on the Pitch on May 25 Presented by The Hydrant Club - Las Vegas Lights FC
- Preview: Nashville SC Puts Unbeaten Run on the Line against Indy Eleven - Nashville SC
- Match Preview vs. Tulsa Roughnecks - Las Vegas Lights FC
- Nashville SC Flips the Script to Earn 1-0 Victory against Birmingham Legion FC - Nashville SC
- Preview | Indy Eleven Hosts Music City Rivals Nashville Sc - Indy Eleven
- LouCity, Heine Bros' Team up to Help Refugee Children - Louisville City FC
- North Carolina FC Travels for Big Road Test at New York Red Bulls II - North Carolina FC
- Preview: Riverhounds SC vs. Charlotte Independence - Pittsburgh Riverhounds SC
- Republic FC Release 2019 Third Kit Inspired by Sacramento City Flag - Sacramento Republic FC
- Congressman Gonzalez and Vela Welcome the Qatar National Soccer Team in Edinburg as They Gear up to Host 2022 World Cup - Rio Grande Valley FC Toros
- Austin Bold FC Partners with Down Syndrome Association of Central Texas for Soccer Summer Camp - Austin Bold FC
- Tickets on Sale for Wednesday's Memphis 901 FC Lamar Hunt U.S. Open Cup Match - Memphis 901 FC
- Pathway Program, Apprenticeship Platform Enter Second Year - Pittsburgh Riverhounds SC
- Zorros Beat Austin 1-0 to Move into 2nd Place in USL West - Fresno FC
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.
Other Recent Nashville SC Stories
- Randall Leal Called up to Costa Rica National Team for November CONCACAF Nations League Matches
- Doolsta Excited to Compete in First International FIFA 20 Competition of the Season
- Pickens, Tribbett, Davis Named to USL Championship All-Opta First Team
- Samuel Abraham Crowned Champion of Tennessee EA Sports FIFA 20 Challenge
- Nashville SC to Auction 2019 Branded Stadium Signage with All Proceeds Going to Vanderbilt Children's Hospital