Pilots Look Toward Next Weekend
The Topeka Pilots had a tough ending to a hard-fought game on Sunday afternoon.
Topeka (10-8-2) went to overtime for a second straight contest, but neither team converted on the eight combined shots in the five-minute frame.
Instead, the teams took to a shootout.
Odessa forwards Jared Christy and Michael Sacco beat Pilots goaltender Sam Metcalf, while Topeka forwards Austin McCarthy and Michael Muschitiello were stopped, as the Jackalopes knocked off the Pilots 3-2 at Ector County Coliseum.
Much like Saturday, Topeka got off to a good start on Sunday, with forward Dallas Tulik netting his 13thgoal of the season at 9:51 of the first period. Tulik's goal came off of a rebound from forward Cole Thiessen's shot, making it 1-0 Pilots.
The lead stood into the second period. Forward Matt Minerva, however, evened the contest at 1-1 with a tally at 5:24.
Forward Quinn Green, who also had an assist on Tulik's goal, put the Pilots back out in front at 15:53, with a powerplay goal. Green picked up a loose rebound in the slot and flipped it past goaltender Kade Phipps.
Defenseman James Crossman knotted the contest back up, with a goal at 12:07 of the third, making it 2-2.
Obtaining two out of a possible six points on the weekend, Topeka will look to rebound on Nov. 16-17, as they travel to Springfield, Ill., where they will face the Jr. Blues at the Nelson Center.
• Discuss this story on the North American Hockey League message board...
North American Hockey League Stories from November 12, 2018
- Bulls Jason Grande Caps off Great Weekend by Being Chosen South Division Player of Week - Amarillo Bulls
- Magicians Have Successful Road Trip - Minnesota Magicians
- McPhail Nets Star of the Week Honors - Johnstown Tomahawks
- NAHL Announces Divisional Stars of the Week - NAHL
- Steel Host Fundraiser Following Recent Tragedy - Chippewa Steel
- Salute to Service - Minot Minotauros
- Pilots Look Toward Next Weekend - Topeka Pilots
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.
Other Recent Topeka Pilots Stories
- Pilots Rally to Sweep Jr. Blues with 6-3 Victory
- Pilots Ride Balanced Offensive Effort to 5-3 Victory over Jr. Blues
- Pilots Host Online Benefit Auction
- Pilots Finish Weekend Sweep of Jackalopes with 3-1 Victory
- McCarthy Nets Hat Trick, Pilots Knock off Jackalopes 8-2