Phoenix Rising FC Signs Midfielder Emil Cuello
February 2, 2023 - United Soccer League Championship (USL) - Phoenix Rising FC News Release
PHOENIX, Arizona - Phoenix Rising FC has signed midfielder Emil Cuello, pending league and federation approval, the club announced today.
"I want to win a championship," said Cuello. "My expectations are for all of us to come in everyday, work hard and believe we can achieve that. I want to enjoy this season and build good relationships with everyone here - the whole organization, my coaches, teammates and fans. I am grateful to be here. Ever since I came to the USL, [Phoenix] was one of the top clubs in the league. I have always liked the idea of coming to play here. I will give my everything for the team so we can achieve our goals and win a championship."
Drafted 19th overall by the LA Galaxy in the 2019 MLS SuperDraft, Cuello, 26, made his professional debut on March 2 of that same year, starting and playing 60 minutes in a 2-1 win for LA against Chicago Fire. Cuello appeared in a total of 20 MLS matches for the Galaxy in 2019-20, recording one assist.
"We are very happy to have Emil with us," said Rising Head Coach Juan Guerra. "He is a technically gifted player that will provide a lot of fluidity and tempo to our game. His hunger and character match the style we are establishing. He understands very well what we want to achieve this year."
Cuello also gained experience in the USL Championship during his time with the Galaxy, appearing in six matches and scoring a goal for LA Galaxy II in 2019. He split time between San Antonio FC and Sacramento FC during the 2021 season, scoring three goals and five assists. Cuello appeared in 22 matches for Sacramento last season, scoring twice with two assists.
Rising now has 21 players under contract for its 2023 season, which will kick off Saturday, March 11, when the two-time Western Conference Champions travel to Charleston (5:30 p.m. live on Arizona's Family Sports and Entertainment Network - antenna TV channel 44 or Cox channel 116).
The club began preseason training on January 29 and will unveil its new stadium at 38th Street and Washington in the City of Phoenix on Saturday, April 1 (7:30 p.m. vs. San Diego Loyal SC). The two-time Western Conference Champions will host its first media availability session this Tuesday, February 7 at Wild Horse Pass (11 a.m. at 19593 S 48th St, Chandler, AZ 85226). Media interested in attending should please RSVP with Jason Minnick (Jason@phxrisingfc.com).
Transaction: Rising signs midfielder Emil Cuello
Name: Emil Cuello
Pronunciation: A-meal Quay-Show
College: Southern Methodist University
DOB: January 2, 1997 (26)
Birthplace: Buenos Aires, Argentina
Hometown: Orem, Utah
• Discuss this story on the United Soccer League Championship message board...
United Soccer League Championship Stories from February 2, 2023
- Oakland Roots Sports Club Sign Colombian Striker Anuar José Peláez Paba - Oakland Roots
- Phoenix Rising FC Signs Midfielder Emil Cuello - Phoenix Rising FC
- FC Tulsa to Host Three Development Camps in 2023 for 6-14 Year Olds - FC Tulsa
- Battery Sign Veteran Defender AJ Cochran - Charleston Battery
- New Mexico United Launches Upcycled Merch, Made from Recycled Jerseys and Other Materials - New Mexico United
- San Antonio FC Brings Back Cristian Parano for 2023 Season - San Antonio FC
- D.C. United Ownership Group Partners with Attain Sports & Entertainment - Loudoun United FC
- Attain Sports & Entertainment Acquires Controlling Stake in Loudoun United FC - USL
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.
Other Recent Phoenix Rising FC Stories
- Tickets Are Selling Fast for Saturday's Home Opener
- Phoenix Rising FC Signs Forward Jackson Conway
- Carvana Kicks off Sixth Season of Partnership with Phoenix Rising FC
- Phoenix Rising FC and Channing Chasten Mutually Agree to Part Ways
- Rising Falls 3-0 in San Diego