Pages Blast in First Not Enough for Raptors
OGDEN, UT - When the Ogden Raptors' third batter of the game, Andy Pages, hit a home run, it seemed as if the hosts would continue their hot hitting of the night before.
It quickly became apparent that was not to be. The Raptors put only five of their next 32 batters on base and saw 16 total batters strike out in a 3-1 loss to the visiting Orem Owlz.
Raptors starter Jeronimo Castro, named earlier in the week to the Pioneer League End-of-Season All-Star Team, struggled to control his curveball and issued walks in the first and second. In the third, he gave up a leadoff home run to tie the game. Orem then used three softer singles, the last two coming with two out, to plate the go-ahead run.
Castro also allowed a leadoff home run in the third for the game's final tally, and both bullpens pitched shutdown ball from that point on.
Ogden threatened in the bottom of the ninth, as Jorbit Vivas was hit by a pitch with one out and Pages singled to left. Two strikeouts followed, continuing a trend as the final nine outs from Orem pitching were whiffs, and the game ended with both left on base.
The Raptors go for a win Thursday night in their 2019 home finale, scheduled for 6:30.
• Discuss this story on the Pioneer League message board...
Pioneer League Stories from September 5, 2019
- Mustangs Clinch Playoff Berth with 5-2 Win over Osprey - Billings Mustangs
- Owlz Edged by Raptors, 3-2 - Northern Colorado Owlz
- Voyagers Playoff Hopes Fade in Idaho Falls - Great Falls Voyagers
- Aplin Elevates in Extras - Idaho Falls Chukars
- Junction's Win Streak Snapped at Four - Grand Junction Rockies
- Pages Blast in First Not Enough for Raptors - Ogden Raptors
- Vibes Bounce Back to Even Series - Rocky Mountain Vibes
- Newcomers Come up Big for Mustangs in 6-5 Extra-Innings Win - Billings Mustangs
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.