Osprey Comeback Falls Just Short in Helena
HELENA, MT - Down 6-2 after 7 innings, the Osprey found a way to get the tying run on in the 9th but fell just short to the Helena Brewers 6-5 on Saturday Night in Helena. The Osprey scored two in the 8th on a bases loaded walk and Eddie Hernandez RBI single. Then in the 9th, Alek Thomas and Blaze Alexander singled to open the inning to put the potential tying runs on base. Buddy Kennedy then grounded into a fielder's choice to bring home Thomas and pull the Osprey to within 6-5. However, Helena reliever Logan Gillaspie got the final two outs without allowing anymore damage and the Osprey fell short. With the loss, the Osprey are now on the brink of elimination from the playoff race. The Osprey must win their final 5 games and the Billings Mustangs must lose their final five in order for the Osprey to win the half and qualify for the postseason.
The Osprey scored first in the top of the 1st inning. Kennedy's double to left drove home Alexander with the game's first run. However, the Brewers came right back in their half of the same inning. Yeison Coca mashed a 2-run homerun to right field to give the Brewers a 2-1 lead. The score remained that way until the 4th . Missoula tied it on Cesar Garcia's RBI single at 2-2. But the Brewers opened the game up in the bottom of the 5th . Jesus Lujano led the inning off with a solo homerun. One out later, Brice Turang tripled followed by a Coca walk. Turang scored on a groundout and Coca scored on Bryan Torres' RBI single with 2 outs.
The Brewers added to their lead without the benefit of a hit in the 7th . Coca walked and then stole second. He then advanced to third and scored on consecutive groundouts putting Missoula down 6-2. The Osprey then battled back in the 8th and 9th to no prevail. Missoula is 4 ½ games behind the first place Mustangs with only 5 games remaining in the regular season.
The Osprey and Brewers continue their 3 game series in Helena with game 2 on Sunday. Game time on Sunday is 1:05pm. Fans can listen to the game on ESPN Missoula 102.9 FM with the pre-game show beginning at 12:45. The Osprey return home for the final homestand of the season next week versus Helena Tuesday through Thursday. Tickets are on sale now at the MSO Hub in downtown Missoula or by visiting the Osprey at www.missoulaosprey.com.
• Discuss this story on the Pioneer League message board...
Pioneer League Stories from September 2, 2018
- Brewers Survive Late Osprey Attack - Helena Brewers
- Brewers Walk off Osprey for Fifth Straight Win - Helena Brewers
- Voyagers Sting Billings with 10-Run Inning - Great Falls Voyagers
- Lead in Division Down to Two Games After 14-3 Loss to Voyagers - Billings Mustangs
- Osprey Fall in Extra Innings in Helena, 6-5 - Missoula Osprey
- Voyagers' End-Of-Season All-Stars - Great Falls Voyagers
- Paulson Powers Raptors to Victory - Ogden Raptors
- Chukars with Clutch 8th Inning in Win - Idaho Falls Chukars
- Voyager Pitching Carries the Night - Great Falls Voyagers
- Osprey Comeback Falls Just Short in Helena - Missoula Osprey
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.