Ontario's Adrien Perez Scores Five Goals And The Game-Winner
SAN DIEGO LOSES FIRST GAME OF THE MASL 2 SEASON IN AN OT HEARTBREAKER
UPLAND, CA - Ontario's Adrien Perez finished off a spectacular night with an overtime game-winning goal to beat San Diego 10-9 at the Upland Sports Arena. Perez notched five goals and his power-play goal at 1:52 of the extra session gave the Sockers 2 their first loss of the season.
The game was highlighted by scoring streaks by both teams. San Diego scored the two goals and then Ontario tallied four in a row. The Sockers 2 rallied with three straight goals to take a 5-4 lead, but the Fury II tied the game just before halftime at 5-5.
The third quarter started with an Andy Lorei goal to put San Diego up 6-5. The goal was his first of two in the game and improved his scoring streak to three games. Lorei leads the team in scoring with 12 points on nine goals and three assists. The Fury II went on a 3-0 run to grab an 8-6 lead early in the fourth. San Diego then rallied for three goals to take a 9-8 advantage midway through the final quarter. However, Juan Carlos Gonzalez equalized the match with 1:45 left to force the 10-minute overtime.
The Fury II took advantage of the power play throughout the game, going three-for-three including with the game-tying and game-winning goals. San Diego's Mike Mercuriali was called for holding in overtime setting up the Perez heroics.
San Diego (3-1) maintains a one-game lead in the Western Conference over Las Vegas (2-0), Arizona (2-2) and Ontario (2-2).
The Sockers 2 return to Valley View Casino Center on Sunday, January 7, 1:05 to conclude the season series with Ontario. Admission is free, but supporters need to be at the North Entrance by 12:50 p.m. to be escorted into the building to section 4.
1ST STAR: Adrien Perez - G: 5 A: 0 PTS: 5 - Fury II
2ND STAR: William Raygoza - G: 2 A: 2 PTS: 4 - Fury II
3RD STAR: Andrew Lorei - G: 2 A: 2 PTS: 4 - Sockers 2
• Discuss this story on the Major Arena Soccer League message board...
Major Arena Soccer League Stories from January 3, 2018
- Blast Defeat Rampage - Baltimore Blast
- Two Late Goals, Two Goals Too Late - St. Louis Ambush
- Ontario's Adrien Perez Scores Five Goals And The Game-Winner - San Diego Sockers
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.
Other Recent San Diego Sockers Stories
- Chris Toth Named MASL Goalkeeper of the Year for Second Consecutive Season
- San Diego's Season Ends with 6-4 Loss to Monterrey in Conference Final
- Western Conference Final Match Preview - San Diego vs. Monterrey
- Toth Named as All-MASL First Team Goalkeeper
- Chiles and Sosa Named to All-MASL Second Team; Pardo Makes Third Team