No Love in Philadelphia as Boston Drops 13-7 Decision Saturday Evening
Boston, MA- The Boston Blazers traveled to Philadelphia Saturday evening in their second straight road game to take on the Wings at the Wachovia Center. While Boston would start the scoring early with a 1:05 first quarter net by captain Dan Dawson, Boston could not overcome the Wings' offensive efforts as they dropped a 13-7 decision.
Following Dawson's goal, Bill McGlone of the Wings would score the first goal of the evening for the Wings off an assist from Drew Westervelt and Mike Ward.
Mat Giles, making his first visit back to Philadelphia since his trade to the Blazers on March 16th would conclude the quarter during a Boston power play. Daryl Veltman and Matt Abbott knotched two more for Boston while Westervelt and Ward scored two for Philadelphia making it 5-4 Boston moving into the second half.
The second half would prove difficult for Boston as McGlone would score quickly for Philadelphia just seven seconds into the third quarter followed by a goal by Kyle Wailes. The Wings would go up 8-6 at the end of the third quarter after two goals within in a minute by Westervelt and Kevin Huntley.
The scoring against Boston would continue as the Wings took a 12-7 lead in the fourth quarter. An empty net goal by Dan Teat would mark the final goal of the evening making the final 13-7 in favor of Philadelphia.
Dawson led Boston with two goals and three assists while Westervelt controlled the Wings offense with three goals and four assists. In goal, Anthony Cosmo had 37 saves on 49 shots on goal for Boston. Brandon Miller recorded 22 saves on 29 shots on goal for the Wings.
With the loss, Boston drops to 6-6 on the season and remains in second place in the Eastern Division. Boston returns home next Saturday, April 3 at 7:30 pm at the TD Garden when they host the Orlando Titans. For tickets, visit blazerslacrosse.com or call 888-BLAZERS.
• Discuss this story on the National Lacrosse League message board...
National Lacrosse League Stories from March 27, 2010
- Mammoth suffers road loss - Colorado Mammoth
- Swarm's early deficit proves too much on the road - Minnesota Swarm
- Fight Night at the Wachovia Center - Wings KO Boston - Philadelphia Wings
- Bandits double up Knighthawks - Rochester Knighthawks
- No Love in Philadelphia as Boston Drops 13-7 Decision Saturday Evening - Boston Blazers
- Minnesota Swarm Return To Winning Form In Calgary - Minnesota Swarm
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.
Other Recent Boston Blazers Stories
- Boston Blazers to Move Operations for 2013 Season
- Blazers Dawson & Cosmo Named to All Pro Teams
- Blazers Kyle Rubisch Named to 2011 NLL All-Rookie Team
- Blazers Season Ends in 11-10 Loss in Divisional Semifinal to Buffalo
- Blazers Set to Battle Division Leader Bandits in Divisional Semifinals