Nine Return From Crystal Palace Baltimore's 2009 Squad
Baltimore, MD - Nine Crystal Palace Baltimore players from last season's roster will be back for the upcoming 2010 season. It was also revealed that eleven members of last year's squad will not return after management elected not to renew their contracts.
The players returning are: defenders Andrew Marshall, Stephen Basso, Paul Robson and Zack Flores; midfielders Dan Lader, Val Teixeira, Neil Vranis and Pat Healey; and forward Jordan Seabrook.
"We're bringing the majority of our defense back," stated Palace Baltimore President and Co-Head Coach, Pete Medd. "Robson, Basso, Marshall and Flores each contributed to great defensive records over the last couple of seasons and we think these guys will get it done at the next level."
Medd continued: "Dan Lader has kept improving as a professional and we are looking for Pat to return to his rookie form. Val was all-League last year, as was Marshall, and we expect him to score some goals for us this year. We continue to look for Jordan to develop - he literally has world-class speed - and Neil is a long-term project for us."
Contracts were not renewed for the following players: goalkeeper Billy Chiles; defenders Shintaro Harada, Alex Ughiovhe, Olawale Adelusimi, Ryan Pierce and Eric Dougnaglo; midfielders Bryan Harkin and Larry Mark, and forwards John Barry Nusum, Machel Millwood and Kevin Gnatiko.
Medd commented on some of the departing players: "Shintaro's burning desire was to move up to MLS - it may still happen and we hope it does. He was an unbelievable player for us over our first years of existence, probably our top performer, so we're sad to see him go but the door is always open for a return. Bryan Harkin, Larry Mark and Alex Ughiovhe were all part of our inaugural season and they've been great ambassadors for the club, especially Bryan who's had some really huge games for us, so we just wish him the best of luck in his future endeavors."
Palace continue their pre-season schedule this Saturday March 20th with a game against West Virginia University at UMBC Stadium. Kickoff is set for 2:00pm and admission is free.
• Discuss this story on the North American Soccer League message board...
North American Soccer League Stories from March 16, 2010
- Rhinos Sign Troy Roberts - Rochester Rhinos
- Miami FC Inks Five Players From Brazil - Fort Lauderdale Strikers
- 10 Impact Matches On Radio-Canada Television - Montreal Impact
- Nine Return From Crystal Palace Baltimore's 2009 Squad - Crystal Palace Baltimore
- RailHawks Sign Defender Safi - North Carolina FC
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.
Other Recent Crystal Palace Baltimore Stories
- Crystal Palace Baltimore to Sit Out 2011 NASL Season
- Palace Baltimore Outmatched By Tampa Bay In Season Finale
- Palace Baltimore Finish Regular Season in Tampa Bay
- Dike Nets Two Goals as Timbers Run Unbeaten Streak to Nine Games
- Last Home Game Pits Palace Baltimore Against Timbers