New York Liberty Finalize 2013 Roster
NEW YORK, NY - May 23, 2013 - New York Liberty head coach and general manager Bill Laimbeer today announced the final roster for the 2013 season. New York begins regular season action against the Connecticut Sun on Saturday, May 25 at 7 p.m. at Mohegan Sun Arena. The Liberty will then host the Tulsa Shock on Opening Night on Friday, May 31 at 7:30 p.m. at Prudential Center.
The Liberty enter the regular season led by perennial All-Star Cappie Pondexter, Essence Carson, Plenette Pierson, Kara Braxton, Leilani Mitchell and Alex Montgomery. New York will also welcome the additions of proven veterans Cheryl Ford and Katie Smith, who both have won multiple championships during their WNBA careers. Three rookies will join the Liberty roster to make their WNBA debuts, first round selections Kelsey Bone (fifth overall) from Texas A&M and Toni Young (seventh overall) from Oklahoma State, along with Kamiko Williams (15th overall) from Tennessee.
Laimbeer makes his return to the league in his first season as head coach and general manager of the Liberty. In eight seasons with the Detroit Shock, Laimbeer led the team to six-straight playoff appearances, including three WNBA Championships (2003, 2006, 2008), and was named 2003 WNBA Coach of the Year.
2013 will mark the final season that the Liberty will call the Prudential Center in Newark, NJ home. Phase III of the three-year, top-to-bottom Transformation of Madison Square Garden will be completed this fall and the Liberty will return to The Garden for the 2014 season. Prudential Center is a convenient 15 minutes away from The Garden by train. Liberty season ticket packages and individual tickets are available at NYLiberty.com.
2013 New York Liberty Roster
NO. NAME POS HT. DOB COLLEGE EXP.
3 Kelsey Bone F-C 6-4 12/31/1991 Texas A&M R
4 Kamiko Williams G 5-11 04/06/1991 Tennessee R
5 Leilani Mitchell G 5-5 06/15/1985 Utah 5
15 Toni Young F 6-2 01/11/1991 Oklahoma State R
17 Essence Carson F-G 6-0 03/21/1986 Rutgers 5
21 Alex Montgomery G-F 6-1 11/12/1988 Georgia Tech 2
23 Cappie Pondexter G 5-9 01/07/1983 Rutgers 7
30 Katie Smith G 5-11 06/04/1974 Ohio State 14
32 Cheryl Ford F 6-3 06/06/1981 Louisiana Tech 7
33 Plenette Pierson F-C 6-2 08/31/1981 Texas Tech 10
45 Kara Braxton C-F 6-6 02/18/1983 Georgia 8
• Discuss this story on the Women's National Basketball Association message board...
Women's National Basketball Association Stories from May 23, 2013
- Tulsa Shock Announces 2013 Final Roster - Tulsa Shock
- Tulsa Shock Waives Courtney Paris - Tulsa Shock
- Washington Mystics Set Final Roster - Washington Mystics
- Sun Waive Williams and Leedham - Connecticut Sun
- Minnesota Lynx Finalize 2013 Roster - Minnesota Lynx
- NBA TV Announces 2013 WNBA Regular Season Telecast Schedule - WNBA
- New York Liberty Finalize 2013 Roster - New York Liberty
- Sparks and Time Warner Cable Announce 2013 Television Coverage - Los Angeles Sparks
- Kathy McConnell-Miller Named to University of Pittsburgh Coaching Staff - Tulsa Shock
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.