Nadim on Verge of Milestone with Denmark Call Up
Racing Louisville FC forward Nadia Nadim has been called into Denmark's women's national team for the start of 2023 World Cup qualifying, and she'll head to Europe sitting on 99 appearances representing her adopted nation.
The former Afghan refugee, whose family fled to Denmark as a child, has also scored more than 35 international goals to coincide with an illustrious club career. Nadim will this cycle seek to help Denmark to its fifth World Cup and first since 2007.
"I am excited to go," Nadim said. "I think I will be earning my 100th cap, so I am super excited to go back and play with the national team. We have a good squad, and hopefully we will qualify for the World Cup."
UEFA nations are split into nine groups from which the the winner automatically qualifies for the World Cup. Second place advances to a playoff round in advance of the main event jointly hosted by Australia and New Zealand.
Denmark opens qualifying Sept. 16 when hosting Malta before traveling to face Azerbaijan on Sept. 21. Russia, Bosnia and Herzegovina, and Montenegro are other members of Denmark's group.
Nadim is also looking forward to next year's UEFA Women's Euro 2022. She scored two goals last Oct. 20 in a victory over Italy, being named Player of the Match in a win that qualified Denmark for that major tournament.
Nadim also began club play in Denmark. She has gone on to feature for Sky Blue FC and Portland Thorns FC in the NWSL as well as Manchester City and Paris Saint-Germain in Europe.
The 33-year-old joined Racing earlier this summer after helping PSG to its first top-division title. She registered two goals and an assist in August, being named to the NWSL's Team of the Month, and tacked on a third goal last Saturday when Racing played OL Reign to a 1-1 draw at Lynn Family Stadium.
Nadim reports for international duty following Saturday's Racing game at the Orlando Pride.
• Discuss this story on the National Women's Soccer League message board...
National Women's Soccer League Stories from September 9, 2021
- Bethany Balcer Named NWSL Player of the Week - OL Reign
- Houston Dash Host Chicago Red Stars on Friday - Houston Dash
- Three Chicago Red Stars Join USWNT for Upcoming Matches against Paraguay - Chicago Red Stars
- NWSL Announces Venue Change for October 6 Match Between NJ/NY Gotham FC and Washington Spirit - NWSL
- Hometown Farewell: NJ/NY Gotham FC to Play at Philadelphia Union's Subaru Park to Celebrate Carli Lloyd - NJ/NY Gotham FC
- Jess Fishlock Named to Wales National Team for September FIFA Window - OL Reign
- Rose Lavelle Called up to United States National Team for September Matches - OL Reign
- NWSL, Nationwide Announce Nationwide Community Impact Award - NWSL
- O'Hara, Sonnett, Sullivan Called up to USWNT for September Matches - Washington Spirit
- Three Houston Dash Players Named to USWNT Roster for September Friendlies - Houston Dash
- KC NWSL Goalkeeper Adrianna Franch Joins USWNT Biosteel Training Camp Roster for September Matches - Kansas City Current
- Nadim on Verge of Milestone with Denmark Call Up - Racing Louisville FC
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.
Other Recent Racing Louisville FC Stories
- Racing Signs No. 2 Draft Pick Howell to Multi-Year Deal
- Racing Duo of Fox, Howell Called up for USWNT Training
- Racing Re-Signs Goalkeeper Lund, Defenders Merrick and Simon
- Club President Estes to Depart After 'Rewarding Five Years'
- Racing Signs 2021 Draftee Davis out of Texas Tech