Houston Dash Host Chicago Red Stars on Friday
Theâ¯Houston Dashâ¯return to BBVA Stadium on Friday to host the Chicago Red Stars at 7:30 p.m. CT. This is the final match prior to the September international window and Houston will return to league play on Sept. 26.
Houston and Chicago split the first two meetings of the season with Houston earning a 2-1 victory on May 29 at home. Houston has won two of their last four outings against Chicago, but trail in the all-time series with a 4-10-7 record against the Red Stars in all competitions.
The Red Stars enter with a 2-5-2 record away from Toyota Park after last Saturday's 0-0 draw with Gotham FC at Red Bull Arena. Chicago currently sits in fifth place just four points shy of the second spot in the table. The Red Stars are led by USWNT forward Mallory Pugh, who has scored three goals and adds three assists in 17 appearances this season.
Houston enters Friday's match with a 4-2-3 record at home and look to capitalize on their final games at BBVA Stadium this season. The Dash return from the international break with a three-game road trip beginning with a trip to Louisville on Sept. 26. Houston returns to BBVA Stadium after a three-game road trip on Saturday, Oct. 9 to host the North Carolina Courage.
Here are the three key points ahead of Friday's game:
DALY WITHIN REACH OF NEW CLUB RECORD: Dash captain Rachel Daly scored for Houston last Sunday against the Orlando Pride. The goal was Daly's 28th in NWSL regular-season play, tying her with Kealia Ohai Watt for the team regular-season scoring record. Daly already owns the scoring record for Houston in all competitions with 33 goals. The 29-year-old made her debut in 2016 against the Red Stars and scored the opening goal in a 3-1 victory at BBVA Stadium. Daly has scored five goals against the Red Stars in her NWSL career and her next goal will give her sole ownership of the club regular-season scoring record.
SIX DASH PLAYERS TO DEPART FOR NATIONAL TEAM DUTY: Five Houston Dash players will depart for international duty on Saturday for the September FIFA window. Jane Campbell, Abby Dahlkemper and Kristie Mewis will join the USWNT for a pair of friendlies against Paraguay in Ohio. Rachel Daly will join England for the opening round of the 2023 FIFA Women's World Cup qualifiers. Andrea Hauksdottir will join Iceland for the start of their World Cup qualifying campaign against the Netherlands on Sept. 21 and Michelle Alozie will join Nigeria for the inaugural Aisha Buhari Cup.
CHICAGO IN THE MIX FOR TOP SEED: The Red Stars close a two-game road trip in Houston on Friday and look to bounce back after a 0-0 draw with Gotham FC last Saturday. Chicago finished with 18 shots against Gotham but her weld scoreless for the third time in their last five games. The Red Stars currently sit in fifth place and look to build a buffer as seven points separate the North Carolina Courage in second place and the Houston Dash in eighth place. Chicago returns to Toyota Park after the international break for a two-game homestand against the Portland Thorns and Orlando Pride.
• Discuss this story on the National Women's Soccer League message board...
National Women's Soccer League Stories from September 9, 2021
- Bethany Balcer Named NWSL Player of the Week - OL Reign
- Houston Dash Host Chicago Red Stars on Friday - Houston Dash
- Three Chicago Red Stars Join USWNT for Upcoming Matches against Paraguay - Chicago Red Stars
- NWSL Announces Venue Change for October 6 Match Between NJ/NY Gotham FC and Washington Spirit - NWSL
- Hometown Farewell: NJ/NY Gotham FC to Play at Philadelphia Union's Subaru Park to Celebrate Carli Lloyd - NJ/NY Gotham FC
- Jess Fishlock Named to Wales National Team for September FIFA Window - OL Reign
- Rose Lavelle Called up to United States National Team for September Matches - OL Reign
- NWSL, Nationwide Announce Nationwide Community Impact Award - NWSL
- O'Hara, Sonnett, Sullivan Called up to USWNT for September Matches - Washington Spirit
- Three Houston Dash Players Named to USWNT Roster for September Friendlies - Houston Dash
- KC NWSL Goalkeeper Adrianna Franch Joins USWNT Biosteel Training Camp Roster for September Matches - Kansas City Current
- Nadim on Verge of Milestone with Denmark Call Up - Racing Louisville FC
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.
Other Recent Houston Dash Stories
- Houston Dynamo Football Club Teams with Fubo Gaming in Groundbreaking Partnership
- Houston Dynamo FC and Houston Dash Volunteer at Hope Farms with Recipe for Success on Martin Luther King Jr. Day
- Houston Dash Add Hiro Suzuki to Technical Staff
- Houston Dash Sign Goalkeeper Ella Dederick
- Houston Dash Sign Forward Joelle Anderson