Modglin Three Run Shot Erases 2-0 Deficit in Seventh
Akron, Ohio - Lisa Modglin hit her second homerun of the year with one out in the seventh, a three run home run to give the New England Riptide a 3-2 come from behind win against the Racers. The game was marked with an almost two hour rain delay prior to the game. The Riptide had managed only three hits off Racer starter Angela Tincher (7-4) through the first six innings, although they had hit the ball hard at times. Tincher walked Jessica Merchant to lead off the inning and with one out Gina Carbonatto bunted her way on to set the stage for Modglin's blast.
Jocelyn Forest (5-6) picked up the win for the Riptide allowing five hits. She allowed no earned runs, but the two unearned were her own doing as she bobbled a routine ground ball hit by Kellie Middleton to lead off the first. With one out Angelena Mexicana singled and Veronica Wootson hit a two out double to score Middleton and Mexicana.
It looked like the 2-0 lead would hold until Modglin's homerun. Eileen Canney came in to pitch in the seventh, picking up her second save of the year retiring the side in order.
The Riptide return home to Martin Field to complete the away-home series with the Racers. The games are on Wednesday the 16th, Thursday the 17th (St. Patrick's Day at Martin Softball Field), Friday the 18th (features the friends of the Wiggles from Six Flags) and Saturday the 19th. All games are at 7:05
• Discuss this story on the National Pro Fastpitch message board...
National Pro Fastpitch Stories from July 12, 2008
- Modglin Three Run Shot Erases 2-0 Deficit in Seventh - New England Riptide
- Chicago Bandits Sweep Washington Glory in Double Header 2-1 and 3-1 NPF softball - Chicago Bandits
- Callahan Lifts Thunder to Game Four Win - Rockford Thunder
- Thunder steal sweep from Force - Philadelphia Force
- Riptide, Racers begin game after two hour delay - New England Riptide
- Chicago squeezes out 2-1 win - Chicago Bandits
- Force's Ashley Smith profiled by littleleague.org - Philadelphia Force
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.