Mitch de Snoo Named NLL Defensive Player of the Year
Oakville, ON - The National Lacrosse League (@NLL), the largest and most successful professional lacrosse property in the world, today Mitch de Snoo of the Toronto Rock claimed the Defensive Player of the Year Award; Zach Currier of the Calgary Roughnecks has won the NLL Transition Player of the Year Award; and Buffalo Bandits netminder Mat Vinc earned his NLL-record eighth Goaltender of the Year honors, as the league continued its unveiling of 2021-22 award winners this week.
De Snoo, 29, ends Graeme Hossack's reign as the Defensive Player of the Year, marking the first of his career and the first for the Rock since 2010 when Sandy Chapman claimed the title. The Rock, anchored by de Snoo, were the only team to allow fewer than 10 goals per game through the regular season. The defenseman was tied for second in the NLL with 39 caused turnovers, with Rock teammate Brad Kri. De Snoo led the Rock with 185 loose balls and 18 blocked shots while also contributing 20 points on eight goals and 12 assists.
The 2021-22 season was the first in a Rock uniform for the veteran defender. He was acquired in the summer of 2020 from the Buffalo Bandits, but due to the lost season of 2020-21 due to the pandemic, his Rock debut was delayed a year, but it proved to be worth the wait.
Rock captain Challen Rogers had his streak of two consecutive Transition Player of the Year Awards snapped and finished as runner up for this year's award.
Having the league's best goals-against average wasn't enough in the voter's eyes as Rock goaltender Nick Rose also finished as runner up for the Goaltender of the Year Award.
The NLL will wrap up the league award announcements on Thursday with the MVP, Rookie of the Year and All-League and All-Rookie team announcements.
For more information on Toronto Rock tickets, please contact a Toronto Rock account executive by phone at 416-596-3075, by email at firstname.lastname@example.org or visit torontorock.com.
• Discuss this story on the National Lacrosse League message board...
National Lacrosse League Stories from June 29, 2022
- Bandits Announce Rosters for Jr. NLL Tournament - Buffalo Bandits
- Vinc Wins NLL Goaltender of the Year for 8th Time - Buffalo Bandits
- Zach Currier Named NLL Transition Player of the Year - Calgary Roughnecks
- Mitch de Snoo Named NLL Defensive Player of the Year - Toronto Rock
- Currier, de Snoo, Vinc Win National Lacrosse League Transition, Defensive Player, Goaltender of the Year Awards - NLL
- Pat Gregoire Wins Tom Borrelli Award for NLL Media Person of the Year - Halifax Thunderbirds
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.
Other Recent Toronto Rock Stories
- Mitch de Snoo Signs Three-Year Contract Extension
- Four Rock Players Recognized for Standout Seasons with All-League Team Selections
- Mitch de Snoo Named NLL Defensive Player of the Year
- Rock Owner Jamie Dawick Named NLL Executive of the Year
- Rock Protect 12 Players for Upcoming Expansion Draft