Missions Avoid the Sweep with Sunday Win
Springfield, MO - The San Antonio Missions avoided being swept by the Springfield Cardinals with a 6-1 win before 3,559 fans at Hammons Field on Sunday. In 1st place in the North Division by 1.0 game, the Cardinals won back-to-back series with a 4-2 record during the homestand.
For the third straight game, the Cardinals (29-25) got on the board first against the Missions (31-25), striking in the bottom of the second. Facing RHP Brett Kennedy (W, 5-3) with two down and the bases empty, 2B Dickie Joe Thon belted a solo blast over the left field fence, his fourth home run of the season to propel the Cardinals into the 1-0 lead.
Cardinals RHP Chris Ellis (L, 0-1) started his outing with four straight scoreless innings, but the Missions rallied in front in the top of the fifth inning. With one on and two down, a base hit from SS Jose Rondon and a walk by RF Franmil Reyes loaded the bases and kept the inning alive for 1B Ty France. France promptly pulled a three-run double into the left field corner, clearing the bases and catapulting the Missions in front, 3-1.
The Missions added to their advantage with another two-out run in the top of the seventh. LHP Corey Littrell, making his season debut, retired the frame's first two batters with a strikeout and a foul out. Reyes, though, worked another two-out walk to extend the inning, before racing all the way in on an RBI double from France, his fourth RBI on the day, stretching it to a 4-1 Missions lead.
After a two hour and 33 minute rain delay to start the bottom of the eighth, the Missions navigated through a scoreless eighth inning and added to their lead in the top of the ninth. With one on and two down, France struck again with a two-run home run to swing the Missions in front, 6-1.
Missions RHP Eric Yardley (S, 4) closed it out with a scoreless bottom of the ninth, finishing the 6-1 win for San Antonio.
• Discuss this story on the Texas League message board...
Texas League Stories from June 4, 2017
- Missed Opportunities Hurt Riders in 3-1 Loss to Travs - Frisco RoughRiders
- RockHounds Take Series Finale from Naturals, 8-2 - Midland RockHounds
- Missions Avoid the Sweep with Sunday Win - Springfield Cardinals
- Drillers Finish Homestand with Walk-Off Victory - Tulsa Drillers
- Drillers Ninth-Inning Wallop Wins Series - Corpus Christi Hooks
- Naturals Win Suspended Game, Drop Finale at Midland - Northwest Arkansas Naturals
- Saturday's Game Suspended Due to Rain - Midland RockHounds
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.
Other Recent Springfield Cardinals Stories
- Theme Tickets Presale for Season Ticket Holders Starts Today
- Cardinals 5-Game Packs for Premium Nights Now Available
- St. Patrick's Day Jersey Theme Ticket Available Right Now
- Springfield Cardinals Open House a Day Away
- Cardinals Announce New Season Ticket Holder Referral Program