Minnesota Whitecaps to Raise Isobel Cup Banner at Home Opener on Saturday
The State of Hockey's loyal fans have an opportunity to be part of history when the Minnesota Whitecaps raise their Isobel Cup championship banner prior to their home opener on Saturday afternoon.
The Whitecaps will raise the 2018-19 Isobel Cup banner before they play the Metropolitan Riveters on Saturday, Oct. 12 at 2 p.m. CT at TRIA Rink. Fans are encouraged to purchase their tickets in advance of the game and to take their seats or standing-room positions at TRIA by 1:50 p.m. in order to witness the special moment. Tickets are available now at www.NWHL.zone/tickets.
The Whitecaps' event precedes the home opener of the Minnesota Wild against the Pittsburgh Penguins at 7:30 p.m. at Xcel Energy Center. The Wild will host a Pregame Party from 3-6:30 p.m. in Rice Park in downtown Saint Paul. Minnesota's two professional hockey teams are aligned, as the Wild provide far-ranging support of the NWHL team, including hosting the team's games and practices at TRIA Rink; the Wild sharing their extensive resources, including support in marketing, promotions, communications, social and digital media, and community relations; and pairing of the clubs' regular season home openers. The two organizations collaborate on programs to enhance the development and visibility of girls' and women's hockey in the State of Hockey.
In their first season in the NWHL, the Whitecaps were an expansion team for the ages. They not only had the league's best record in the regular season and captured the Isobel Cup, but the fans of the team filled the stands to capacity at all ten home games.
This season, more than a dozen Whitecaps are back to defend the title, including star goaltender Amanda Leveille, NWHL Newcomer of the Year Jonna Curtis, and Best Defender finalist Amanda Boulier. Among the elite players joining the team this season are U.S. National Team forward Nicole Schammel and former University of Minnesota top defender Sydney Baldwin. The Whitecaps have announced that legendary Minnesotan Winny Brodt Brown remains as the team captain. The assistant captains are Curtis and Brooke-White Lancette.
• Discuss this story on the National Women's Hockey League message board...
National Women's Hockey League Stories from October 9, 2019
- Minnesota Whitecaps to Raise Isobel Cup Banner at Home Opener on Saturday - Minnesota Whitecaps
- Boston Pride Add NWHL All-Star Emily Fluke - Boston Pride
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.
Other Recent Minnesota Whitecaps Stories
- Brooke White-Lancette, Rose Alleva and Sara Bustad Signed by the Minnesota Whitecaps
- Winny Brodt Brown, Stephanie Anderson and Lisa Martinson Re-Signed by Minnesota Whitecaps
- Fueled by Isobel Cup Pursuit and Inspiring Others, Emma Stauber Returns to the Whitecaps
- Isobel Cup and NCAA Champion Chelsey Rosenthal Re-Signs with Minnesota Whitecaps
- Bemidji State's Haley Mack Set to Play Rookie NWHL Season with the Minnesota Whitecaps