Minnesota Whitecaps Face University of Minnesota on September 22
In a battle between the top pro team in the U.S. and one of college hockey's legendary programs, the Minnesota Whitecaps of the NWHL will face the University of Minnesota Golden Gophers in a preseason game on Sunday, Sept. 22 at 2:00 pm CT at Ridder Arena. Admission is free.
The Whitecaps are the defending Isobel Cup champions and feature No. 1 goaltender Amanda Leveille, who had an incredible career between the pipes for the Golden Gophers. The University of Minnesota has won six NCAA championships and will have one of the top teams in the nation again this season.
"We are very fortunate to face an exceptional team like the University of Minnesota in September," said Whitecaps co-head coach Ronda Engelhardt. "Being able to play outstanding D1 schools at the start of the season is beneficial for us to see where the team is starting at and what we need to improve on. It gives us our baseline and we will be able to see the direction we need to go as we enter the season."
"We're thrilled to have the Whitecaps on our schedule again this year," said Brad Frost, who's entering his 13th season as head coach at the University of Minnesota. "It's always a fun match-up and a great opportunity for our team to get ready for the regular season."
• Discuss this story on the National Women's Hockey League message board...
National Women's Hockey League Stories from July 8, 2019
- Danbury Arena the New Home of the Connecticut Whale - Connecticut Whale
- Minnesota Whitecaps Face University of Minnesota on September 22 - Minnesota Whitecaps
- NWHL & D1 Women's Hockey Comes to Long Island for First Time as Riveters Meet LIU - Metropolitan Riveters
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.
Other Recent Minnesota Whitecaps Stories
- Whitecaps to Face University of Minnesota Duluth on September 28
- Minnesota Whitecaps Face University of Minnesota on September 22
- Lisa Martinson Returns to Defend Isobel Cup with Whitecaps
- Defender of the Year Finalist Amanda Boulier Signs Deal to Return to Minnesota Whitecaps
- Nicole Schammel - Kazmaier Award Finalist and U. of Minnesota Leading Scorer - Joins the Whitecaps