Memphis Express Daily Update
- The Memphis Express returned to padded practice on Monday at Cornerstone Christian School, hitting the field for two hours beginning at 10:00 am CT.
- Monday featured extensive individual drills as the team built up from one-on-ones to passing work focusing on one half of the field at a time. The Express did limited 11-on-11 activity, with the coaching staff's emphasis squarely on proper alignment on both sides of the ball.
- The Memphis Express traded RB Jahad Thomas (Temple) to San Diego for TE Darryl Richardson (San Diego State) on Sunday night.
- The Express added WR Dontez Byrd (Tennessee Tech), CB Julian Wilson (Oklahoma), CB Charles James II (Charleston Southern), DB Martay Mattox (Charlotte), TE Adrien Robinson (Cincinatti), LB Benetton Fonua (Hawai'i), DL Deondre Barnett (UCF), and OL Brandon Haskin (Tennessee State) to its active roster over the weekend.
- In corresponding moves, the Express terminated its rights to LB E.J. Levenberry (Connecticut), CB Brandon Neal (Thomas More), CB Juwan Offray (Louisiana-Monroe), CB Jahmahl Pardner (Memphis), CB Tyree Robinson (Western Kentucky), WR Xavier Rush (Tulane), and LB Chris Santini (Cal Poly).
- WR Damore'ea Stringfellow (Ole Miss) submitted his best performance since joining the team midcamp, showing off his strong hands on multiple contested catches in one-on-ones. Stringfellow will attempt to stand out in a crowded receiver room with nine days left until final cuts.
- CB Jeremy Cutrer (Middle Tennessee State) continues to shine in man coverage. The long and lean corner held his own despite tough matchups during a long day of one-on-ones, managing several pass breakups through the practice.
- WR Gerrard Sheppard (Towson) made the day's best grab on a back shoulder throw up the sideline from QB Brandon Silvers (Troy). At 6-2, 211, Sheppard has been working with the wide receivers through camp though it's possible he becomes a candidate to switch positions as the Express looks for answers at tight end.
- With the wideouts and corners working on the middle of the field, the backs and linebackers lined up in the red zone for their one-on-one session. QB Christian Hackenberg (Penn State) hit RB Terrance Magee (LSU) on a wheel route for a touchdown. RB Zac Stacy (Vanderbilt) scored on an out from QB Brandon Silvers (Troy) later in the drill.
- DL Corey Vereen (Tennessee) delivered a pair of tackles-for-loss in quick succession once the linemen joined live action for a sequence of run plays.
- New acquisition CB Martay Mattox (Charlotte) made his mark with an interception during one-on-ones in his first practice with the Memphis Express, cutting under a corner route to secure the pick.
- Head Coach Mike Singletary on seeing the intensity and focus pick up: "We have to take advantage of this time, the last week of training camp, to go back to the fundamentals and teaching, the lifeline of our team. We did that today, and we'll have another day very similar to today, then we'll move on."
- Head Coach Mike Singletary on the process of cutdowns: "We've had a few tough cuts so far. It's never fun or easy. I want to make sure we take the time to go through the things that the coaches are teaching, so that we could see anything that we might possibly be missing."
- Head Coach Mike Singletary on the scrimmage approaching this weekend: "The guys are seeking gameday. It's just a matter of trying to get better while we can, and concentrating on those things when they get here."
- DL Sam Montgomery (LSU) on the defensive line's progress: "We're trying to gel right now. The D-Line is making advances. We're getting better in the run and the pass. Right now we've just got to make sure we're paying attention to coaching and keep moving forward."
- DL Sam Montgomery (LSU) on cutdowns: "We're trying to keep everybody focused on the main thing of getting better everyday, making sure we're working on technique and craft, and staying focused on the mission that everybody has together. Don't really worry about being cut or being here the next day, just come out here and do your best."
Images from this story
Reece Horn at Memphis Express practice
Memphis Express assistant coach David Lee
Kadeem Satchell of the Memphis Express
• Discuss this story on the Alliance of American Football message board...
Alliance of American Football Stories from January 21, 2019
- SD Fleet Daily Update - San Diego Fleet
- Memphis Express Daily Update - Memphis Express
- January 21, 2019 - Orlando Apollos Daily Update - Orlando Apollos
- San Antonio Commanders Daily Training Camp Update for Monday, January 21, 2019 - San Antonio Commanders
- Arizona Hotshots Daily Update: Monday, January 20, 2019 - Arizona Hotshots
- Orlando Apollos to Host Weekly Radio Show 'Apollos Football Weekly' at Topgolf Orlando - Orlando Apollos
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.
Other Recent Memphis Express Stories
- Memphis Express Announces Inaugural TV Deal and Broadcast Team
- Memphis Express Partners with WeAreMemphis for Events on February 16 & April 13
- Memphis Express Set Final Roster
- Memphis Express Partners with Southern Hot Wing Festival April 13
- Memphis Express Daily Update