Mathew Ward Invited to Hockey Canada Summer Development Camp
Swift Current, Sask. - The Swift Current Broncos are proud to announce that 2004-born forward Mathew Ward has been invited to Hockey Canada's National U-18 Summer Development Camp, which runs from July 25-August 4 at the Seven Chiefs Sportsplex on the Tsuut'ina Nation near Calgary. The players include four goalies, 15 defencemen and 26 forwards.
"This stage of our Summer Showcase is about bringing together the top under-18 players in Canada to work and learn from an elite-level coaching staff, giving them the necessary skills for their hockey development to grow and succeed," said Alan Millar, director of player personnel for Hockey Canada. "We have an opportunity to connect with the players through on- and off-ice sessions to give them the tools that will only enhance their skill set as they advance through our program and prepare for the upcoming season."
Over the 11-day camp, the players will be split into two teams, Red and White, and participate in practices and intrasquad games. The camp will also feature combined practices and intrasquad games with Canada's National Junior Team on Aug. 2-3.
Ward, from Kamloops, B.C., was drafted by the Broncos with the 14th overall selection in the 2019 WHL Prospects Draft following a season in which he posted 24 goals and 40 assists with Delta Green's U-15 team.
Ward then matched that point total with 19 goals and 45 assists with West Van Academy at the U-18 level the following season before making the jump to the WHL in the Regina Hub.
Ward's transition to the WHL was as smooth as could be as he finished second in team scoring for the Broncos with six goals and 16 assists in 23 games. He was named the Broncos Rookie of the Year for his performance.
• Discuss this story on the Western Hockey League message board...
Western Hockey League Stories from July 8, 2021
- Dennis Williams to Join Hockey Canada on Staff for U18 Development Camp - Everett Silvertips
- Brad Lauer Selected for Hockey Canada Under-18 Camp - Edmonton Oil Kings
- Matthew Savoie and Conor Geekie Invited to Hockey Canada Under-18 Summer Development Camp - Winnipeg Ice
- Lisowsky to Attend Hockey Canada's U18 Summer Development Camp - Saskatoon Blades
- Hurricanes Player, Coach Named to Under-18 Summer Showcase - Lethbridge Hurricanes
- Mathew Ward Invited to Hockey Canada Summer Development Camp - Swift Current Broncos
- Lindgren and Levis Invited to Hockey Canada U-18 Showcase - Kamloops Blazers
- Danielson off to Hockey Canada's U18 Camp - Brandon Wheat Kings
- Hockey Canada Names 17 WHL Players to Roster for National Men's Under-18 Team Summer Development Camp - WHL
- Mateychuk Receives Invite to Hockey Canada Under-18 Summer Camp - Moose Jaw Warriors
- Three Cougars Named to Hockey Canada U-18 Team Summer Development Camp - Prince George Cougars
- Schenn and Foote Claim 2021 Stanley Cup with Tampa Bay - Kelowna Rockets
- 11 WHL Alumni Win 2021 Stanley Cup Championship with Tampa Bay Lightning - WHL
- Former Winterhawks Scouts Josh Dye & Grant Armstrong Win Second Straight Stanley Cup with Tampa Bay - Portland Winterhawks
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.
Other Recent Swift Current Broncos Stories
- Broncos Rout Tigers 8-2 to End Pre-Season Schedule
- Broncos Comeback Falls Short in OT against Tigers
- Broncos Rally But Fall 5-2 in Moose Jaw
- Broncos Drop Pre-Season Opener against Warriors
- Broncos Sign Connor Gabriel and Luke Mistelbacher to Standard Player Agreements