Match Preview: Republic FC v New Mexico United
After a thrilling last-second victory Saturday, Republic FC is back on the pitch for a mid-week contest. New Mexico United visits Heart Health Park, continuing Sacramento's stretch of three games in eight days.
At a Glance: #SACvNM
7:00 PM PT Kickoff
Heart Health Park, Sacramento, California
Watch: Antenna TV 40.2, FOX40.com and the FOX40 News Mobile App, ESPN+
Theme Night: Superhero Night presented by UC Davis Health
Giveaway: UC Davis Health x Republic FC Superhero Cape
Republic FC - The Latest
Sacramento dominated on the ball Saturday - but their persistent efforts weren't rewarded until the final moments. In the final minute of second half stoppage time, Keko served an out-swinging cross to Luis Felipe at edge of the six-yard box, who headed it over the line to secure the Quails all three points. Leading up to the score, the club pinned its West Texas foes in their own half for a majority of the match, entering the attacking third 90 times to El Paso's 46 and holding nearly 60% possession.
The victory - Sacramento's 15th on the year in league play - secured the Indomitable Club its 11th clean sheet and a playoff berth for the ninth time in ten seasons. The club maintains its lead in the Western Conference standings with 54 points with five games to play in the regular season.
Know Your Opponent
United is in a tight race to reach the playoff line as one of six teams within five points of one another in the standings. Currently, they sit in 10th on 36 points, making every game important for them should they hope to secure a postseason berth. Wednesday, they'll be without midfielder Justin Portillo as he serves a disciplinary suspension for yellow card accumulation.
New Mexico comes to the River City following an eventful victory on Friday against Indy Eleven. After going down a score nine minutes after the start of the match, a penalty save by new acquisition Andrew Thomas gave the hosts momentum. The club equalized before the break and put in two more in the second half to take all three points.
Players to Watch
Nicky Hernandez put in a strong showing for his club on Friday night, netting a go-ahead score in the 64th minute while also tallying three chances created. Alongside Hernandez, forward Santi Moar is likely to return to the starting XI after going unused on the bench against Indy Eleven.
Luis Felipe's score on Saturday night was his sixth of the season - setting a new single-season career high for the Brazilian. The match marked his first 90-minute outing since returning from injury. On the season, he has six scores and two assists.
Head to Head
All-time, Sacramento and New Mexico have faced off seven times, including two meetings in the postseason. Republic FC has won four times, and the two clubs have split points just once. New Mexico won the last meeting on July 22 - a 3-0 result favoring the hosts in Albuquerque. At Heart Health Park, Sacramento has recorded two wins, one loss and one draw.
• Discuss this story on the United Soccer League Championship message board...
United Soccer League Championship Stories from September 18, 2023
- Rhode Island FC Announces Ortho Rhode Island as the Club's First Anchor Partner - Rhode Island FC
- Switchbacks FC Acquire Defender Isaiah Foster on Loan from FC Cincinnati - Colorado Springs Switchbacks FC
- Match Preview: Republic FC v New Mexico United - Sacramento Republic FC
- Preview: "t's Coming Together at the Right Time." - Phoenix Rising FC
- New Mexico United 2024 Season Tickets On-Sale Now - New Mexico United
- Green Day's Billie Joe Armstrong Joins Oakland Roots and Soul Sports Club's Community Investment Round - Oakland Roots
- Nick Sakiewicz Named CEO of Hartford Athletic - Hartford Athletic
- Birmingham Legion FC Loses 1-0 to FC Toros - Birmingham Legion FC
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.
Other Recent Sacramento Republic FC Stories
- Republic FC to be Featured in Four National Broadcasts in 2024 Season
- Coach's Corner: "We Were Strong, We Were Solid, We Looked Like We Could Keep Going"
- Coach's Corner: Braces from Jauregui, Kimbrough Lead Republic FC vs. Central Valley Fuego FC
- Multi-Year Republic FC and Sky River Casino Partnership Adds to Premium Matchday Experiences
- Republic FC and FOX40 Continue to Grow Partnership in Third Season