Match Preview: Chicago vs Angel City
CHICAGO - The Chicago Red Stars (8-7-6, 30 points) take on Angel City FC (8-8-5, 29 points) for the second time in the Red Stars' final regular-season match Sunday, October 2, at 5:00 P.M. CT at SeatGeek Stadium. To secure a spot in the National Women's Soccer League playoffs, Chicago will need a win against Angel City and a loss by the North Carolina Courage or a win against Angel City and a loss by the Houston Dash of two or more goals.
Where to Watch
Stream: Paramount+ and Twitch (international)
CHI: The Red Stars fell to the Portland Thorns 3-0 on the road
LA: Angel City lost to Racing Louisville FC 3-1 in their final home game of the season
Fighting Tooth and Nail: Both the Chicago Red Stars and Angel City are just a few points away from reaching the playoffs, with the Red Stars sitting in 7th place in the NWSL standings with 30 points and Angel City sitting close behind in 8th place with 29 points. North Carolina is currently in 6th place with 31 points, making the race for the playoffs as close as possible.
Less Than Familiar Foes: The 2022 NWSL season is Angel City's inaugural season, making this only the second match ever between the two clubs. In August, the Red Stars traveled to Los Angeles for their first meeting on the pitch, losing 1-0. Former Red Stars Sarah Gorden and Savannah McCaskill are current members of Angel City's roster. This season the Red Stars are winless against expansion teams (Los Angeles and San Diego), but with playoffs on the line, Angel City will be seeing a much different Red Stars team.
Red Stars, Red Cards: In the Red Stars' previous match against the Portland Thorns, both Zoe Morse and Bianca St-Georges were dismissed from the match after receiving red cards. As a result, neither will be able to play in the final match against Angel City. "Each week it becomes who can play and then how do we organize our team with the players that we have... I feel like we have some pretty good options out there," said head coach Chris Petrucelli. Check out the full pre-game media availability here.
• Discuss this story on the National Women's Soccer League message board...
National Women's Soccer League Stories from September 30, 2022
- THREE POINTS: Dash Look to Clinch Playoff Spot Saturday at Washington - Houston Dash
- Beckie, Sinclair, RodrÍguez, Sugita Called up for FIFA International Window - Portland Thorns FC
- Beckie, Sinclair, Rodríguez, Sugita Called up for FIFA International Window - Portland Thorns FC
- Playoff-Bound Kansas City Current Hope to Climb NWSL Table in Final Match of 2022 Regular Season - Kansas City Current
- Thorns FC Sign Defender Becky Sauerbrunn for 2023 Season - Portland Thorns FC
- Dash Look to Clinch Playoff Spot Saturday at Washington - Houston Dash
- What to Watch for with Racing vs. Kansas City Current - Racing Louisville FC
- Orlando Pride Closes out 2022 Season on the Road at OL Reign - Orlando Pride
- Match Preview: Chicago vs Angel City - Chicago Red Stars
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.
Other Recent Chicago Red Stars Stories
- Chicago Red Stars to Play Preseason Match in Indianapolis
- Five Chicago Red Stars Called up for International Duty
- Chicago Red Stars Set 2023 Preseason Roster
- Chicago Red Stars Acquire Cari Roccaro from Angel City FC
- Chicago Red Stars Sign Brazilian National Julia Bianchi