Mason Named Player of the Week
The Arena Football League announced today that Austin Wranglers defensive specialist Damon Mason was named the league's ADT Defensive Player of the Week.
Mason (5-9, 190, Louisiana-Lafayette) helped the Austin Wranglers to their second win of the season over the Arizona Rattlers, 53-34. Mason's three interception performance brings his 2006 total to five in just two games this season, which leads the AFL.
With his three interception game, Mason set new team records in single-game interceptions and return yards, new team season-highs with five interceptions and 106 return yards and a new career single-game high with three interceptions in one game.
Earning the Defensive Player of the Game for the second week in a row, he also added four tackles and three pass breakups en route to securing this honor.
Mason is the all-time Arena Football League career tackles leader with 740.5. A nine-year AFL veteran, Mason joined the Wranglers as a free agent this off-season.
• Discuss this story on the Arena Football League (1987-2008) message board...
Arena Football League (1987-2008) Stories from February 10, 2006
- Storm Extend Home Winning Streak to 12 Games - Tampa Bay Storm
- AFL Friday injury report - AFL I
- Rush Signs Kicker Dan Frantz - Chicago Rush
- Force Taking On Tampa Bay Storm - Georgia Force
- February 11 Is Special Day in AFL History - Utah Blaze
- AFL, INHD Announce 2006 Schedule - AFL I
- Columbus Destroyers game notes - Columbus Destroyers
- Mason Named Player of the Week - Austin Wranglers
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.