Mariners Fall to Rochester 3-1
Rochester, New York - The Mariners ended their 2005 campaign with a 3-1 loss to second place Rochester Saturday night at Frontier Field.
Rey Martinez opened the scoring for the home team in the seventh minute, slotting the ball inside the near post unassisted.
Mariners' midfielder and leading scorer Darren Caskey evened the score 26 minutes later off a feed from Hamisi Amani-Dove.
Just before the end of the first half, midfielder Jeff Bilyk was ejected from the match for retaliating on a foul by Lenin Steenkamp and five minutes later Rochester's Shaun Tsakiris was also tossed for fouling Felix Brillant from behind. The half ended 1-1 with each team playing 10 men.
Rochester took control after the break, scoring in the 52nd and 71st minutes. Edivaldo DaSilva took a ball from Stoian Mladenov and beat Mariner keeper Bayard Elfvin inside the near post from 18 yards. Mladenov netted the insurance goal unassisted also inside the near post. Rochester outshot the Mariners 12 to 8.
The Mariners went undefeated in three of their last four matches but finished the season 7-14-7.
• Discuss this story on the USL First Division message board...
USL First Division Stories from September 11, 2005
- Lynx Wrap Up Season - Toronto Lynx
- Whitecaps lose 1-0 to the Montreal Impact - Vancouver Whitecaps
- Mariners Fall to Rochester 3-1 - Virginia Beach Mariners
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.
Other Recent Virginia Beach Mariners Stories
- Mariners host Miami for Fan Appreciation Night
- Mariners host Montreal Friday and Sunday
- Harrison returns to Real Salt Lake
- Mariners host Minnesota
- Simmonds named to USL First Division Team of the Week