Mariners eliminated from U.S. Open Cup
Rochester, N.Y. - The Virginia Beach Mariners were eliminated from U.S. Open Cup competition by the Rochester Raging Rhinos Wednesday night on an 80th minute shorthanded goal by Rhinos midfielder Kirk Wilson. But John Barry Nusum's strike in the 43rd minute gave Virginia Beach fans hope Wednesday night, putting the Mariners up 1-0. But a handball in the box by defender Joe Morelli in the 50th minute allowed the Rhinos to even the score off the ensuing penalty kick.
The Mariners played Rochester even and well throughout the match and when Rochester defender Jason Perry was handed his second yellow card and ejected from the match it gave the Mariners the man advantage for the final 26 minutes. But Rhino Kirk Wilson was able to score 16 minutes later to put Rochester up 2-1 for good. The Rhinos will host the New York/New Jersey Metrostars on August 3 in the Cup's fourth round.
The Mariners return home Saturday to face Charleston at 7:30 p.m. at the Sportsplex. Tickets are $5 for ages 10 & up; all fans wearing their team soccer jerseys will get in free.
• Discuss this story on the USL First Division message board...
USL First Division Stories from July 13, 2005
- Mariners eliminated from U.S. Open Cup - Virginia Beach Mariners
- Lady Lynx defeat Rochester for 10th win - Toronto Lynx
- Virginia Beach Soccer, LLC is the new owner of the Mariners - Virginia Beach Mariners
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.
Other Recent Virginia Beach Mariners Stories
- Mariners host Miami for Fan Appreciation Night
- Mariners host Montreal Friday and Sunday
- Harrison returns to Real Salt Lake
- Mariners host Minnesota
- Simmonds named to USL First Division Team of the Week