Major League Soccer Midfielder Eric Calvillo Joins El Paso Locomotive Ahead of 2022 Season
EL PASO, Texas - El Paso Locomotive FC has announced Midfielder Eric Calvillo is set to join the club for the 2022 USL Championship, pending league and federation approval. Calvillo is currently with El Salvador's Men's National Team for CONCACAF FIFA 2022 World Cup Qualification and will join El Paso Locomotive at the conclusion of the international window.
"We have been able to secure a very good talent in Eric," shared Locomotive Head Coach and Technical Director John Hutchinson. "2021 was a good season for Eric and we cannot wait to see what he can bring to the team. Eric is a box-to-box midfielder and will help strengthen our squad. We look forward to Eric coming into pre-season once he finishes his commitments with the national team."
Calvillo, 24, comes to El Paso after an incredibly successful season on loan with Orange County SC from San Jose Earthquakes where the California native helped lift the 2021 USL Championship trophy. Calvillo made 25 appearances, recording two goals and three assists in the regular season with Orange County SC before starting against the Tampa Bay Rowdies where he recorded an assist in the club's 3-1 win. Calvillo began his career in the NASL with the New York Cosmos, making a total of 19 appearances, four goals, and one assist, helping lift the Cosmos to a first place finish and a trophy in 2016 before making the leap to Major League Soccer, signing with the San Jose Earthquakes in 2018. Calvillo went on loan with the Earthquakes USL Championship affiliate, Reno 1868 FC, making 20 appearances and a goal over two seasons. While on loan with Reno, Calvillo made appearances with San Jose for a total of 11 appearances in the American topflight.
As a young midfielder with roots in El Salvador, Eric Calvillo earned his first appearance for the El Salvador Men's National team, playing 57 minutes against Guatemala in September 2021, having made three appearances for the El Salvador U-23 team earlier in the year. Prior to aligning with El Salvador, Calvillo played prominently in the U.S. Men's National Team youth system, making 36 appearances for the U-17 team and four appearances for the U-19 side.
Calvillo and El Salvador are set to play the U.S. Men's National Team on Tuesday, January 27 at 4:30 p.m. MT live on ESPN2. They will conclude the January qualification matches in the Octagonal against Honduras on Sunday, January 30 at 5:05 p.m. MT.
Name: Eric Calvillo
Pronunciation: AIR-ic Cal-VEE-oh
DOB: January 2, 1998
Weight: 153 lbs.
Hometown: Palmdale, California
Last club: San Jose Earthquakes (MLS)
El Paso Locomotive FC's roster as it currently stands for the 2022 USL Championship season is below, listed alphabetically by position:
GOALKEEPERS (1): Philipp Beigl
DEFENDERS (5): Matt Bahner, Eder Borelli, Andrew Fox, Martín Payares, Yuma
MIDFIELDERS (7): Eric Calvillo, Chapa Herrera, Diego Luna, Dylan Mares, Richie Ryan, Emmanuel Sonupé, Sebástian Velásquez
FORWARDS (3): Aaron Gomez, Luis Solignac, Ricardo Zacarias
El Paso Locomotive FC kicks off its fourth USL Championship season against Sacramento Republic on the road on March 12 and will be broadcast live on ESPN+. The Locos return to Southwest University Park a week later on March 19 for its 2022 season home opener against New Mexico United. Fans can become eligible for priority purchasing for Locomotive game tickets by signing up for the ticket waiting list by visiting eplocomotivefc.com/individualtickets. Fans can also lock in their seats for the entire 2022 USL Championship season at Southwest University Park by visiting eplocomotivefc.com/seasontickets or by calling or texting 915-235-GOAL.
• Discuss this story on the United Soccer League Championship message board...
United Soccer League Championship Stories from January 11, 2022
- Two Local Republic FC Academy Players Selected in 2022 MLS SuperDraft - Sacramento Republic FC
- Hartford Athletic Signs Jamaican International Peter-Lee Vassell - Hartford Athletic
- Phoenix Rising FC Signs Hamilton High School Alumni, Channing Chasten - Phoenix Rising FC
- Legion FC Signs Croatian Center Forward Edi Horvat - Birmingham Legion FC
- La Liga and Serie A Veteran Keko Joins Republic FC - Sacramento Republic FC
- Aaron Molley Kicks off New Additions to Memphis 2022 Roster - Memphis 901 FC
- United Soccer League Names Missy Price Vice President of Women's Soccer - USL
- Midfielder Todd Wharton Announces Retirement - Pittsburgh Riverhounds SC
- San Antonio FC Signs Midfielder David Loera - San Antonio FC
- Major League Soccer Midfielder Eric Calvillo Joins El Paso Locomotive Ahead of 2022 Season - El Paso Locomotive FC
- D.C. United Defender Frédéric Brillant Retires from Professional Soccer and Joins Loudoun United FC as Assistant Coach - Loudoun United FC
- FC Tulsa Signs Former MLS Defender Matheus Silva to Backline in 2022 - FC Tulsa
- Nagasato Traded Back to Chicago Red Stars - Louisville City FC
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.
Other Recent El Paso Locomotive FC Stories
- El Paso Locomotive to Play Atlanta United II in First Trip to Georgia, Saturday
- El Paso Locomotive FC Claims Road Point with Scoreless Draw Against Rio Grande Valley FC
- Locomotive Midfielder Eric Calvillo Named to Week 16 USL Championship Team of the Week
- El Paso Locomotive to Play Rio Grande Valley FC on the Road in Midweek Match
- El Paso Locomotive Controlled New York Red Bulls II to 5-0 Victory at Southwest University Park