Major League Soccer Celebrates Earth Day With MLS W.O.R.K.S. Greener Goals Week
April 22, 2010 - Major League Soccer (MLS) News Release
NEW YORK (April 22, 2010) -- To commemorate the 40th Anniversary of Earth Day, MLS W.O.R.K.S., Major League Soccer's community outreach initiative, has launched Greener Goals Week, a League-wide effort focused on increasing environmental awareness. Major League Soccer has partnered with the Natural Resources Defense Council (NRDC) and Bonneville Environmental Foundation to identify and enact tangible ways to reduce our environmental footprint and help raise awareness throughout the soccer community.
During Greener Goals Week (April 17-24), 100% of the electricity used at MLS stadiums will be offset through the purchase of renewable wind credits. Additionally, fans attending MLS games this week will receive NRDC Eco-tip Wallet guides, developed as a tool for fans to be better informed and to further the ongoing movement toward a more sustainable tomorrow. Fans will also receive flower seed packets courtesy of America the Beautiful Fund.
"MLS W.O.R.K.S., through its Greener Goals initiative, is committed to raising awareness in the community and supporting other environmentally friendly programs," said JoAnn Neale, EVP of MLS. "By actively participating in various community projects, Greener Goals works to reduce our environmental footprint and to give back to the communities who are so supportive of our League and clubs."
Many MLS clubs have made efforts in their local communities to educate the public and participate in sustainable projects in support of Earth Day. Some of the individual club highlights include:
* Chicago Fire: The Fire launched a three-day community service project that includes Fire players, staff and volunteers from Best Buy, planting trees at TOYOTA PARK and visiting a local school for "The Lorax Student Earth Day" where 200 books will be donated. Fire players will wear commemorative 'Fire Goes Green' jerseys which will be auctioned off for charity following the game.
* Colorado Rapids: The Rapids will host 'Play Clean Night' that rewards hybrid drivers and car poolers with preferred parking, a 'recycle minute' in the 60th minute where crews will circle each section to collect recyclables, and players will wear special patches on their jerseys for the match.
* Columbus Crew: The Crew is building upon its "Keep Columbus Beautiful" initiative by also distributing environmentally friendly items to fans and will auction off a special goalkeeper jersey to benefit a local environmental charity.
* D.C. United: United players, staff and supporting fans will donate their time to pick up trash in the streets surrounding RFK Stadium.
* LA Galaxy: The Galaxy Foundation, The Home Depot Center Foundation and The Home Depot will build a Reading Garden at a local elementary school.
* New York Red Bulls: The Red Bulls organization have adopted a local highway and will conduct a 'clean up' in the immediate area surrounding Red Bull Arena at a later date.
* San Jose Earthquakes: The Earthquakes are distributing reusable products to fans, offering reduced parking to those driving hybrid vehicles and ticket discounts for those taking public transit.
* Seattle Sounders FC: Sounders FC players, staff and fans picked up trash, cleaned sidewalks, planted trees and restored green spaces during a monthly "United We Serve" volunteer service project.
MLS W.O.R.K.S. GREENER GOALS will help to identify ways to reduce our environmental footprint and raise awareness about environmental issues throughout the soccer community. The greening of our game will encourage MLS clubs, players, partners and fans to create a cleaner, healthier environment. ABOUT MLS W.O.R.K.S. MLS W.O.R.K.S. is Major League Soccer's community outreach initiative dedicated to addressing important social issues affecting young people and serves as a platform for both League and club philanthropic programs. MLS W.O.R.K.S. seeks to establish Major League Soccer as a leader for improving the lives of people through sport. For more information visit the Web site at www.MLSsoccer.com/works.
• Discuss this story on the Major League Soccer message board...
Major League Soccer Stories from April 22, 2010
- Seattle Sounders FC Ties Match with FC Dallas, 2-2 - Seattle Sounders FC
- Zions Bank "Summer Kickoff" Event Features American Idol David Cook June 9 At Rio Tinto Stadium - Real Salt Lake
- Dynamo To Hold "America's Largest Soccer Tailgate" At Cinco De Dynamo - Houston Dynamo
- Chivas USA And LA84 Foundation Team Up To Save High School Soccer In Los Angeles Unified School Dist - Club Deportivo Chivas USA
- Olympic Gold Medalist Shani Davis To Rally Fans As Official Scarf Raiser At Chicago Fire Match - Chicago Fire
- Earthquakes Host Club Partner Tottenham Hotpsur On Saturday, July 17 - San Jose Earthquakes
- Major League Soccer Celebrates Earth Day With MLS W.O.R.K.S. Greener Goals Week - MLS
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.