Lumberjacks Open the Season with a Victory
It's only one game, but it's always nice to start the season with a victory, and the Muskegon Lumberjacks did that in impressive fashion on Thursday.
The Jacks overcame an early two-goal deficit, scored five unanswered goals in the first period, then held on for a 7-4 victory over the Sioux Falls Stampede in the USHL Fall Classic in Pittsburgh.
Seven different Lumberjacks scored in the win, while defenseman Nathan McBrayer had two assists.
The Lumberjacks will remain in Pittsburgh for one more game, playing Tri-City on Friday afternoon. Their home opener will be Friday, Sept. 30 against the Chicago Steel.
The game did not start out well for the Lumberjacks. Sioux Falls grabbed a quick 2-0 lead on goals by Maxim Strbak at 3:28 of the first period and Will McDonough at 8:25.
The Lumberjacks responded with an offensive flully, ending the period with five unanswered goals scored by five different players.
Rookie Cody Croal found the net at 11:05 of the opening period, followed by Owen Mehlenbacher (11:54), Ethan Whitcomb (14:50), Jake Richard (17:14), and David Hymovitch (19:54).
Maddox Fleming scored for the Stampede at 2:11 of the second period, narrowing the score to 5-3, then Muskegon's George Fegaras answered with a goal to make the score 6-3 headed into the third.
Sioux Fall's Samuel Harris found the next 2:01 into the third period, then Muskegon rookie Sacha Boisvert ended the scoring with a goal at the 17:02 mark.
Hymovitch, Croal, Richard, Tyler Dunbar and Nicholas Rexine also had assists for the Jacks, along with goalie Noah Rupprecht.
Rupprecht stopped 14 of 18 shots to collect the win. Sioux Falls outshot Muskegon 18-14.
The Lumberjacks had two goals on five power play opportunities. Sioux Falls had one power play goal on three chances.
• Discuss this story on the United States Hockey League message board...
United States Hockey League Stories from September 22, 2022
- Manz Sparkles, Celebrini Gets First USHL Goal in 3-1 Comeback Win over Fargo - Chicago Steel
- Force Fall to Chicago in Season Opener - Fargo Force
- Ludtke Tallies Twice, Stars Win - Lincoln Stars
- Lumberjacks Open the Season with a Victory - Muskegon Lumberjacks
- RoughRiders Drop Game 1 of the Fall Classic - Cedar Rapids RoughRiders
- Late Gambler Goals Sinks Sioux City - Sioux City Musketeers
- Force Open Season in Pittsburgh - Fargo Force
- Storm Set to Open 2022-2023 Regular Season - Tri-City Storm
- RoughRiders Roster Released - Cedar Rapids RoughRiders
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.
Other Recent Muskegon Lumberjacks Stories
- Lumberjacks Fall to Tri-City 6-4 in Penalty-Filled Contest
- Lumberjacks Open the Season with a Victory
- Lumberjacks Set to Kick off 2022-23 Season with a Solid Group of Returning Players
- Lumberjacks Welcome New Equipment Manager Kyle Wagner
- Teddy Spitznagel Commits to the University of Michigan