Louisville City FC Repeats as USL Cup Champions
Louisville City FC won back-to-back USL Cups after defeating Phoenix Rising FC, 1-0, thanks to a goal by Luke Spencer just after the hour mark at Lynn Stadium.
For the second consecutive year, Louisville City FC took on a Western Conference opponent in a match deciding who would be crowned USL Cup champions.
This year's foe happened to be Didier Drogba and Phoenix Rising FC.
Through the first 20 minutes of action, both sides saw multiple scoring opportunities off free kicks though neither club were able to find the back of the net.
Play would continue through the first 45, though neither club would concede as both entered the half scoreless.
In similar fashion to the first, neither Phoenix Rising nor LouCity were able to capitalize on early scoring opportunities through the first 15 minutes of play.
It wasn't until a LouCity corner kick from Oscar Jimenez sent into the penalty box that the night's scoring sheet would finally be opened.
After several headers from the likes of Paco Craig and a bicycle kick attempt from Ilija Ilic, the ball finally fell at the feet of forward Luke Spencer who slotted it past Phoenix goalkeeper Carl Woszczynski for the 1-0 lead.
No more than three minutes passed before midfielder Brian Ownby had one of the night's best runs, slipping through PRFC defenders before eventually losing possession ending in a LouCity corner.
Nothing would come off the set piece.
As time continued, neither side would score over the remaining 28 minutes as LouCity captures back-to-back USL Cup championships.
Cameron Lancaster (leg)
Louisville City FC 1 : 0 Phoenix Rising FC
Thursday, November 8, 2018
Lynn Stadium | Louisville, KY
40 degrees / partly cloudy
LOU "" Luke Spencer 62'
PHX "" Joseph Farrell (caution) 39'
LOU "" Kyle Smith (caution) 45'
PHX "" Didier Drogba (caution) 73'
PHX "" Kevon Lambert (caution) 84'
LOU "" Luke Spencer (caution) 90'+1
LOU "" Greg Ranjitsingh (caution) 90'+2
Starting XI (4-2-3-1): Greg Ranjitsingh (GK); Alexis Souahy, Paco Craig, Oscar Jimenez, Kyle Smith; Paolo DelPiccolo (c), Niall McCabe, George Davis IV (Sean Totsch 84'); Luke Spencer, Ilija Ilic (Devon "Speedy" Williams 70'), Brian Ownby (Magnus Rasmussen 90'+2)
Bench: Shaun Francis, Richard Ballard, Tim Dobrowolski, Luke Spencer, Sean Totsch
• Discuss this story on the United Soccer League message board...
United Soccer League Stories from November 9, 2018
- Louisville City FC Repeats as USL Cup Champions - Louisville City FC
- Nashville SC Fans, Players Participate in Second Annual FIFA Tournament at Nashville Palace - Nashville SC
- Independence Announce December Open Tryout Dates, Registration - Charlotte Independence
- FC Cincinnati to Select Five Players in MLS Expansion Draft on December 11 - FC Cincinnati
- Phoenix Rising Ends Historic Season Following 1-0 Loss in USL Cup Final - Phoenix Rising FC
- Spencer's Strike Leads Louisville to Second Straight USL Cup - USL
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.
Other Recent Louisville City FC Stories
- Louisville City FC Confirms International Call-Ups for Midfielder Devon "Speedy" Williams, Defender Shaun Francis
- 2018 USL Cup Celebration Set for Tuesday, November 13 at Headliners Music Hall
- Louisville City FC Repeats as USL Cup Champions
- Louisville City FC to Host New York Red Bulls II in Eastern Conference Final on Friday, November 2
- Louisville City FC Books Place in the Eastern Conference Final with 2-0 Shutout over Steel FC