Legends Victorious in Santa Cruz
SANTA CRUZ, CA (Feb. 9, 2018) -The Texas Legends (22-15) grabbed the victory in Santa Cruz 105-99 over the Warriors (18-17) Friday night.
The game saw 25 lead changes and 12 ties, with neither team leading by more than 8. JJ Avila came out firing for Texas, hitting 5-of-6 for 12 first quarter points. Texas faced a one-point deficit with three minutes to play, but Avila and Jameel Warney teamed up for a 10-1 streak to the buzzer to give the Legends their largest lead of the night (+8). Santa Cruz ran through 10 unanswered points to open the second. Donald Sloan was the first to respond for Texas, and the back and forth began. Sloan finished with 10 points to lead the Legends to a 51-47 halftime score.
Four minutes into the second half, Golden State two-way Quinn Cook put Santa Cruz back on top with the lead they would hold through the third. Texas grabbed the first basket of the fourth, and when the Warriors took the gap to four, Donald Sloan took over with eight straight points to set Texas on the path to victory.
Sloan led the Legends with 34 points, 4 rebounds, 3 assists, 3 steals, and a block, while Warney added 27 points, 12 rebounds, 3 assists, and 3 steals. Xavier Johnson had another double-digit night on the boards finishing with 10 and 5 points, 2 blocks. Avila added 15 points, 7 rebounds, 4 assists, 3 steals, and a block off the bench and Brandon Ashley rounded off the double-digit scoring with 10 points, 8 rebounds, and 2 blocks.
Golden State assignee Patrick McCaw led the Warriors with 22 points, 8 rebounds and Terrence Jones added 20 points, 9 rebounds, and 5 assists. Quinn Cook grabbed 19 points, 7 rebounds, and Damian Jones and Chris Boucher tallied 6 and 4 blocks each respectively.
Texas will make their final stop before the All-Star break at the South Bay Lakers Monday at 9pm CT. Fans can catch all the action live at www.TexLegends.com.
• Discuss this story on the NBA G League message board...
NBA G League Stories from February 10, 2018
- Santa Cruz Warriors Drop Back-And-Forth Affair to Texas Legends, 99-105 - Santa Cruz Warriors
- "Bucks Takeover" Scheduled for Wisconsin Herd Game on February 10 - Wisconsin Herd
- Bighorns Drop Series to Skyforce - Reno Bighorns
- RGV Vipers Roll Through Austin Spurs - Rio Grande Valley Vipers
- Weber, Skyforce Top Bighorns for 110-93 Win - Sioux Falls Skyforce
- Charge Swept in Weekend Series with Bulls - Canton Charge
- Lakeland Magic Come up Short against 905 - Lakeland Magic
- Greensboro Drops Heartbreaker to BayHawks in Overtime - Greensboro Swarm
- Mad Ants Overpower Red Claws - Maine Red Claws
- Westchester Knicks Shine in Final Game Before All-Star Break, Top Delaware 87ers 114-97 - Westchester Knicks
- Jones Jr. Re-Joins Skyforce - Sioux Falls Skyforce
- NBA G League Suspends Five Players - G League
- Lakeland Magic Claim Alan Anderson off Waivers, Release Kyle Randall - Lakeland Magic
- Legends Victorious in Santa Cruz - Texas Legends
- Northern Arizona Suns Burnt in South Bay - South Bay Lakers
- Harrison's Big Night Not Enough for Suns in Loss - Northern Arizona Suns
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.
Other Recent Texas Legends Stories
- Mavericks Sign Kostas Antetokounmpo to Two-Way Contract; Waive Jalen Jones
- Legends Take Business and Basketball to a New Level in 2017-18 Season
- Brandon Ashley Invited to 2018 NBA G League Elite Mini Camp
- Warney, Motley Named to All-NBA G League Teams
- Texas Legends Summer Camps Open for Registration