Las Vegas' A'ja Wilson Receives July WNBA Carescommunity Assist Award Presented by State Farm
August 20, 2019 - Women's National Basketball Association (WNBA) News Release
NEW YORK - Las Vegas Aces' All-Star forward A'ja Wilson has received the July WNBA Cares Community Assist Award presented by State Farm for her work in the community focusing on education for children and supporting families whose children have dyslexia.
Throughout the season and leading into July, Wilson spent time with Spring Valley High School as part of the Lace Up Mentorship Program for high school girls basketball teams. She also donated her time to Opportunity Village, which is dedicated to helping adults with disabilities. Wilson spent time with Vanessa, a developmentally disabled adult whose dream is to become an ESPN Sports Reporter.
In addition to her Las Vegas community outreach, Wilson remains committed to the Columbia, South Carolina, community where she grew up. Wilson founded the A'ja Wilson Foundation to serve as a resource for children and their families who struggle with dyslexia. Wilson continues to empower children and families to reach their full potential with educational programming, workshops, camps and grant opportunities.
"Having people recognize you on the court is great," said Wilson. "Having someone recognize you in the community, if you take time to go out and talk to them and touch them, it's a huge deal. Growing up, I had plenty of role models, but I never got a chance to touch someone like that. To be that person to step in for young kids today, the future of our game, but also our world and be there as a role model for them is huge."
The WNBA Cares Community Assist Award presented by State Farm is awarded monthly during the season to the player who best reflects the WNBA's passion to make a difference in the community. In recognition of Wilson's efforts, the WNBA and State Farm will donate $5,000 to benefit the A'ja Wilson Foundation.
Please visit wnba.com/statefarmcommunityassist for more information on the award and its recipients.
• Discuss this story on the Women's National Basketball Association message board...
Women's National Basketball Association Stories from August 20, 2019
- Liberty Maintain Lead to Defeat Fever, 82-76 - New York Liberty
- Indiana Cuts 17-Point Deficit But Can't Take Lead as Liberty Hold on for 82-76 Win - Indiana Fever
- With Playoff Berth Clinched, Aces Look to Boost Seeding with Tuesday Tilt vs. Mercuy - Las Vegas Aces
- Lynx FastBreak Foundation to Raise Funds for Breast Health Awareness - Minnesota Lynx
- Comprehensive Cancer Centers and Las Vegas Aces Promote Breast Cancer Awareness and Raise Money for American Cancer Society - Las Vegas Aces
- Las Vegas' A'ja Wilson Receives July WNBA Carescommunity Assist Award Presented by State Farm - Las Vegas Aces
- Las Vegas' A'ja Wilson Receives July WNBA Carescommunity Assist Award Presented by State Farm - WNBA
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.