Junior Hockey Player Suspended for Eight Games for Methylhexaneamine Violations
January 24, 2011 - Western Hockey League (WHL) News Release
(Ottawa, Ontario - January 24, 2011) - The Canadian Hockey League (CHL) and the Canadian Centre for Ethics in Sport (CCES) announced today that a junior hockey player was assessed an eight-game suspension for an anti-doping rule violation. The violation resulted from a urine sample collected during in-competition doping control in December 2010 which revealed the presence of methylhexaneamine, a prohibited stimulant.
Under the rules of the CHL Anti-Doping Policy, Spencer Asuchak, a player with the Prince George Cougars of the Western Hockey League, was assessed an eight game suspension for a first violation for using a prohibited substance.
"In reviewing this matter, we are completely satisfied that the player used a supplement which had been purchased over the counter at a retail outlet and had no knowledge that it contained a prohibited stimulant under our national CHL Anti-Doping Policy," stated CHL Vice President and WHL Commissioner Ron Robison. "The Canadian Hockey League is fully committed to the ongoing education for all CHL players, all of whom participate in the CHL Anti-Doping program and we will continue to work with the CCES to support the health and welfare of all of our players."
Methylhexaneamine is banned in-competition under the World Anti-Doping Agency's Prohibited List, which is recognized by the CHL. In Canada, methylhexaneamine is not an ingredient in medications licensed by Health Canada but can be found in supplements. "This violation once again underscores the potential dangers of supplement use," said Paul Melia, President and CEO of the CCES. "Athletes must exercise extreme caution when considering the use of supplements, as ultimately they are responsible for what substances are in the products they consume."
• Discuss this story on the Western Hockey League message board...
Western Hockey League Stories from January 24, 2011
- Booster Club Bus Trips - Kamloops Blazers
- Portland Winterhawks this Week - Portland Winterhawks
- Hitmen to Play Tuesday, Friday, Saturday, Sunday - Calgary Hitmen
- Junior Hockey Player Suspended for Eight Games for Methylhexaneamine Violations - WHL
- Pat Chat - Regina Pats
- Weekly Ice Report - Kootenay Ice
- Spokane Chiefs' Johnson Named WHL Player of the Week - WHL
- Morrissey to Make WHL Debut Wednesday - Prince Albert Raiders
- Warriors Update - Moose Jaw Warriors
- Rockets Snap Americans' Home Streak Behind 4-3 Win - Tri-City Americans
- Winterhawks' Win Streak Hits 5 with 6-5 Overtime Win Over Spokane - Portland Winterhawks
- Vancouver Giants Defeat Chilliwack 7-3 - Vancouver Giants
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.