Julius James & Josue Soto to Return to the San Antonio Scorpions in 2015
SAN ANTONIO, Texas (Friday, January 9, 2015) - Veteran defender Julius James and versatile midfielder Josue Soto have each had their team options exercised by the defending NASL Champion San Antonio Scorpions, President/General Manager Howard Cornfield and Head Coach Alen Marcina announced today. Per team policy, terms of the deals were not disclosed.
"Julius is a vocal leader, is adept at playing multiple positions along the backline, and was a mainstay of our NASL record-setting defense and championship-winning team last season," said Marcina. "He brings pace, composure, leadership and championship experience to the team and will be one of our defensive pillars this upcoming season. We're delighted to have him back."
James started all 24 matches he appeared in for the Scorpions in 2014 and wore the armband whenever regular captain Adrian Cann was unable to play. The Trinidad and Tobago native had a goal and an assist in 2,063 minutes played. Soto appeared in 25 matches for the Scorpions with thirteen starts, compiled 1,419 minutes played and added a goal and an assist while playing multiple positions.
"Josue Soto displayed his versatility by playing in both the midfield and defense for us in 2014," said Cornfield. "He's a great team player and we're glad that he'll continue to represent the Scorpions both on and off the pitch."
Prior to joining the Scorpions for the 2014 season, James played professionally for Toronto FC (MLS), the Houston Dynamo (MLS), D.C. United (MLS) the Columbus Crew (MLS), and the Carolina RailHawks (NASL). He has also made over a dozen international appearances for the Soca Warriors. Soto played college soccer for the SMU Mustangs and was a member of the inaugural 2012 Scorpions team. He previously played for the Houston Dynamo (MLS), San Antonio Scorpions (NASL - loan from Houston Dynamo) and Chivas USA (MLS).
The Scorpions also came to terms today on a trade with the Fort Lauderdale Strikers that will send defender Jonathan Borrajo to South Florida in exchange for future considerations. With the moves, the Scorpions now have ten players on the roster for 2015:
D - DeRoux, James
M - Menjivar, Castillo, Forbes, Soto
F - Elizondo, Hassli, Zahorski, Caesar
The Scorpions will begin defense of their championship when the NASL Spring Season kicks off on April 4 at Toyota Field against the Tampa Bay Rowdies. For information on Scorpions season tickets, call 210-495-8686 or visit SAScorpions.com.
• Discuss this story on the North American Soccer League message board...
North American Soccer League Stories from January 9, 2015
- Indy Eleven Signs Veteran Center Back Greg Janicki - Indy Eleven
- Tampa Bay Rowdies Announce Nike Kit and Apparel Partnership - Tampa Bay Rowdies
- Miguel Ibarra Gets Third Straight Call to U.S. Mens National Team - Minnesota United FC
- Neil Hlavaty Joins RailHawks Ahead of 2015 Season - North Carolina FC
- Julius James & Josue Soto to Return to the San Antonio Scorpions in 2015 - San Antonio Scorpions
- Fort Lauderdale Strikers Sign Defender Jonathan Borrajo - Fort Lauderdale Strikers
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.
Other Recent San Antonio Scorpions Stories
- Scorpions Soccer Club Thanks Fans for Supporting Soccer for a Cause
- San Antonio Scorpions Owner Gordon Hartman Issues Statement
- Gordon Hartman Issues Statement
- Billy Forbes Returns to Lead the San Antonio Attack in 2016
- Scorpions Part Ways with Head Coach Alen Marcina