Jonna Curtis Signs with the Minnesota Whitecaps for 2020-21 Season
SAINT PAUL -Â After two spectacular seasons of significant personal and team achievement, Minnesota Whitecaps all-star forward Jonna Curtis has signed with the team for 2020-21.
With 14 goals and 22 assists for 36 points in 21 games, Curtis was second in the NWHL in assists and tied for third in points. The previous season, Curtis led the Isobel Cup champions in scoring and was named the NWHL's Newcomer of the Year.
"Season 6 is going to be one for the books, and I'm looking forward to being back in front of the best fans," said Curtis. "The growth from one year to the next in my two seasons in the NWHL has been substantial. The level of sponsorship was unmatched this past year and the 50-50 revenue split for the players drives the growth of salaries even more. So I'm thrilled to re-sign with the Whitecaps for another year."
As a rookie in 2018-19, Curtis led the Whitecaps and all NWHL first-year players with 20 points (8-12-20) on the season, a mark that was also tied for second overall. In that Whitecaps' inaugural NWHL season, she scored three game-winning goals, including the goal that earned Minnesota the regular season title in a 2-1 win over the Boston Pride in the final weekend of the campaign. Curtis was selected to participate in NWHL All-Star Weekend in Nashville in 2019 and Boston in 2020.
In college, she led the University of New Hampshire in goals and points in her final three seasons. She finished her career with 106 points (54-52-106) in 161 games for the Wildcats and was a two-time Hockey East All-Star Honorable Mention. Prior to college, Curtis set the Elk River High School record with 280 career points (156-124-280) and was a member of the Minnesota Jr. Whitecaps.
In addition to playing in the NWHL, Curtis is a product assurance engineer at 3M. She also volunteers as much time as possible at youth hockey events.
• Discuss this story on the National Women's Hockey League message board...
National Women's Hockey League Stories from May 11, 2020
- Jonna Curtis Signs with the Minnesota Whitecaps for 2020-21 Season - Minnesota Whitecaps
- Hanna Beattie, Taylor Marchin and Katelynn Russ Sign Contracts to Return to the Connecticut Whale - Connecticut Whale
- NWHL Provides Updates on the GMs for 2020-21 - NWHL
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.
Other Recent Minnesota Whitecaps Stories
- NWHL All-Time Wins Leader Amanda Leveille Returns to Whitecaps for 2020-21 Season
- Defender of the Year Finalist and Three-Time All-Star Amanda Boulier Is Back with the Whitecaps
- Jonna Curtis Signs with the Minnesota Whitecaps for 2020-21 Season
- NWHL Co-MVP Allie Thunstrom (25 Goals in 25 Games) Re-Signs with the Minnesota Whitecaps
- In Overtime Classic, Whitecaps Win 1-0 on Thunstrom Goal to Reach Isobel Cup Final