JetHawks Return to Action with Win
SAN BERNARDINO, Calif. - The JetHawks played for the first time since in four days Tuesday night, hanging on to beat the Inland Empire 66ers, 2-1, at San Manuel Stadium. Lancaster struck out 19 times on offense, but won thanks to a pair of unearned runs.
Lancaster (23-20) was without a hit until the sixth inning. With one on and one out in the frame, Matt Hearn hit a soft single into right field for the team's first hit. That was it for Inland Empire's Kyle Bradish (2-3), who wound up taking the loss despite allowing only one hit and no earned runs.
Carlos Herrera tied the game with an RBI single into centerfield off of Austin Warren. The JetHawks took the lead thanks to the last of three Inland Empire errors in the inning, with Hearn scoring the go-ahead run.
Both runs were unearned for the JetHawks. Bradish struck out 12 in the loss, the most for a Cal League pitcher in 2019. The bullpen struck out seven more JetHawks behind him.
The teams combined for 32 strikeouts, one shy of a league record set by the JetHawks and Quakes April 12. Lancaster's 19 strikeouts are the most for a California League team in a nine-inning game this season. The JetHawks struck out 21 times in a 14-inning loss against Visalia Friday.
Inland Empire (18-25) scored in the bottom of the first inning as Lucas Gilbreath hit a batter with the bases loaded. That was it for the 66ers on offense, as they left 10 men on base in the game. The 66ers put a runner on in each of the first six innings.
Lancaster's bullpen shut the door after the team went on top. Nate Harris (2-2) allowed just one hit in 2.1 innings to earn the win. Braxton Lorenzini and Salvador Justo each pitched perfect innings. Justo recorded his fifth save as the bullpen combined to retire the final 10 Inland Empire batters of the contest.
The three-game series in San Bernardino continues Wednesday night. Righty Will Gaddis (1-4) will start for the JetHawks against Cooper Criswell (0-3). First pitch from San Manuel Stadium is 7:05 pm.
JetHawks single game tickets, group tickets, ticket packages and season tickets are on sale now. Visit jethawks.com or call (661) 726-5400 for more information.
• Discuss this story on the California League message board...
California League Stories from May 22, 2019
- Ports and Storm Postponed Due to Rain - Stockton Ports
- Cal League to Induct Four Hall-Of-Famers at San Manuel Stadium's All-Star Game - Inland Empire 66ers
- Cal League Announces 2019 Hall of Fame Class - CalL
- 66ers Pitchers Dominate, Lose - Inland Empire 66ers
- Storm Bring the Power Back to Lake Elsinore - Lake Elsinore Storm
- JetHawks Return to Action with Win - Lancaster JetHawks
- Late Rally Falls Short in 5-3 Loss - Modesto Nuts
- Rancho Plays Long-Ball in Tuesday's Win - Rancho Cucamonga Quakes
- Storm Sail Past Ports 5-3 in Series Opener - Stockton Ports
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.