Jason Heyward Honored by USA Today & Baseball America
Pearl, MS - The Mississippi Braves announce that outfielder Jason Heyward was named the Minor League Player of the Year by USA Today and Baseball America. Heyward was also named the top prospect in the minors by Baseball America.
The McDonough, GA native was drafted by the Braves with the 14th overall pick in the 2007 draft. Since then, he's done nothing but impress. Heyward hit .323 with 17 homers, 25 doubles, four triples, 63 RBI and stole 10 bases in stops at High-A Myrtle Beach and AA Mississippi.
The 20-year old drew 51 walks and struck out only 51 on the year.
Both articles can be found on mississippibraves.com.
• Discuss this story on the Southern League message board...
Southern League Stories from September 11, 2009
- Suns Take 2-0 Series Lead with 8-1 Victory - Jacksonville Jumbo Shrimp
- Barons Fall Behind 0-2; Lose 8-1 - Birmingham Barons
- Coleman Leads Smokies Past Stars 3-1 - Tennessee Smokies
- Tennessee Heads Home With Split In Huntsville - Huntsville Stars
- Jason Heyward Honored by USA Today & Baseball America - Mississippi Braves
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.
Other Recent Mississippi Braves Stories
- Anderson, Harris Named Atlanta Braves Minor League Players of the Year
- Unroe, Kingham Named Final Farm Bureau Players of the Week
- Riley Unroe Named Southern League Player of the Week
- M-Braves Close Season with 3-2 Win over Lookouts
- Kingham Tosses Complete Game in Sunday's Win