In Their Own Words: "The Intensity, the Attitude, the Communication, It Makes Me Feel Positive.Ã¢ÂÂ
Heading into Saturday's showdown in San Diego, see what the boss had to say before heading south to square up against Loyal SC for the very first time
San Diego Loyal SC is the USL Championship's lone expansion team in 2020 but the newcomers are off to a fantastic start.
Having dropped its first game of the season, Republic FC is looking to rebound in sunny SoCal against the new club head coached by former USMNT standout Landon Donovan.
As the Indomitable Club prepares for its first game against the new boys, let's see what the gaffer had to say before Saturday night's clash in San Diego.
Head Coach Mark Briggs
On this weekend's opponent...
"San Diego, they're the in-form team at the moment. They've got a few wins at the start of the season, it's going to be a difficult one, to go into their place where they've won a few games, it's going to be hard. I'm excited because we've worked on certain things, we're spoke about certain things, and I feel like the group is ready to go. Ready to explode. Ready to show what we haven't already shown yet."
"And maybe I could be standing here on Monday looking stupid, but I just get that feeling, I get that feeling that they're at a level at that I'm happy with. The intensity, the attitude, the communication, it makes me feel positive."
On if he's concerned about the positive tests around the league...
"I think that's obviously a concern but unfortunately right now it's a reality. We're following every single protocol we can, we're doing everything possible to try to make the risk as minimal as possible. But at the same time, you can't control everybody else, right?"
"So, we have to control what we're doing and then hope that we stay negative and our players are following all the protocols when they leave our supervision which they've been first class with. So to answer your question, it's a worry, it's a worry for every single person that's out here but we're all doing our job and hoping to stay safe."
On the Grinwis injury..
"Last week against LA Galaxy, Adam took a kick from the free kick prior to their goal when the boys clattered into him, got a kick on his knee and it's twisted a little bit, we're just being precautious. We've got Rafa behind him who is a suitable stand-in and somebody that we fully trust. So, we're going to get Adam's knee right and once it's right, he'll be competing with Rafa again."
• Discuss this story on the United Soccer League Championship message board...
United Soccer League Championship Stories from July 31, 2020
- Austin Native Nathaniel Adamolekun Joins Austin Bold FC for 2020 Season - Austin Bold FC
- North Texas SC Recalls Defender Brecc Evans from Loan with Austin Bold FC - Austin Bold FC
- Preview: Austin Bold FC V San Antonio FC - Austin Bold FC
- Match Report: Battery Fall to Tampa Bay 2-0 - Charleston Battery
- Reno Looks to Cap Road Trip with Win over Rival Las Vegas Lights FC - Reno 1868 FC
- Lights FC Return to Cashman Field for First Home Match in Nearly Ten Months - Las Vegas Lights FC
- In Their Own Words: "The Intensity, the Attitude, the Communication, It Makes Me Feel Positive.Ã¢ÂÂ - Sacramento Republic FC
- Switchbacks FC Sign Two Rapids Academy Players - Colorado Springs Switchbacks FC
- Atlanta United 2 Announces 2020 Season Update - Atlanta United 2
- Match Preview: FC Tulsa at Rio Grande Valley FC - Saturday, August 1, 8 p.m. CT - FC Tulsa
- Match Preview: Republic FC V San Diego Loyal SC - Sacramento Republic FC
- Match Preview: Legion FC at North Carolina FC - Saturday, August 1 - Birmingham Legion FC
- Preview: Toros Host FC Tulsa on Saturday Night - Rio Grande Valley FC Toros
- Real Monarchs Travel to Colorado Springs Switchbacks FC on Saturday - Real Monarchs SLC
- LouCity, New Father Rasmussen Part Ways for 2020 - Louisville City FC
- MEMvSTL: Game Preview - Saint Louis FC
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.
Other Recent Sacramento Republic FC Stories
- Republic FC Kickstart Grant Program Returns with LatinX Edition for Small-Business Owners
- Micron and Republic FC Provides Huge Assist to San Juan Unified Students
- Railyards Stadium Awarded 2024 Men's College Cup and 2025 Women's College Cup
- Three Takeaways from #PHXvSAC
- San Juan Unified Students to Receive Distance Learning Assist from Micron Technologies and Republic FC