Preview: Toros Host FC Tulsa on Saturday Night
EDINBURG, Texas - Rio Grande Valley FC returns to H-E-B Park to host FC Tulsa on Saturday, August 1st behind closed doors. Kickoff is set for 8 p.m. CST, the matchup will be broadcasted nationally on ESPN+ and locally on Somos El Valle 5.2.
Here are your three key points:
As the pandemic continues to be a threat in the Rio Grande Valley, the Toros have chosen to continue to play behind closed doors to protect the safety of the players, team staff, employees and most importantly, the fans. After having a two-game road trip, RGV FC fell to SAFC 1-0 although the squad was able to bring back home one point from OKC. The Toros have cleaned up defensively but are lacking the final finish of games. RGV FC needs to continue to attack while being able to capitalize on the opportunities in the final third. Chances have been created and opportunities have been present but have not found the way to finish and earn three points.
Ian Hoffmann signs with Houston Dynamo but will be spending the remainder of the 2020 season with the Toros. Hoffmann has been a part of the U.S. National Youth Teams and the U-17 German National Team due to his grandparent's German citizenship. The Connecticut native has competed at the youth national level and European level after spending three seasons at the Karlsruher SC academy, competing in the 2. Bundesliga. There, Hoffmann led the U17's in goals and assists, also earning 38 appearances across two seasons with the U19's. The midfielder is a versatile player who can assist both defensively and offensively.
The matchup will be the first time that both clubs meet this 2020 season. FC Tulsa has some familiar faces as both Kevin Garcia and Eric Bird are Toros alumni. Tulsa enters the match with a 0-0-2 record while the Toros go in with a 0-3-2 record. Although Tulsa has only played two matches thus fa, Rodrigo da Costa leads the club with two goals in the two matches played. Goalkeeper Sean Lewis ranks 11th in the Championship with nine saves, which can be a key factor for the Toros offensive plan. Meanwhile, Paul Blanchette ranks 2nd with 18 saves, which is beneficial for RGV FC who is looking to earn the first clean sheet of the season. Overall, RGV FC have never won at home against FC Tulsa (0-2-2).
RGV FC vs FC Tulsa
H-E-B Park - Edinburg, Texas
August 1 - 8:00 p.m. CT
• Discuss this story on the United Soccer League Championship message board...
United Soccer League Championship Stories from July 31, 2020
- Austin Native Nathaniel Adamolekun Joins Austin Bold FC for 2020 Season - Austin Bold FC
- North Texas SC Recalls Defender Brecc Evans from Loan with Austin Bold FC - Austin Bold FC
- Preview: Austin Bold FC V San Antonio FC - Austin Bold FC
- Match Report: Battery Fall to Tampa Bay 2-0 - Charleston Battery
- Reno Looks to Cap Road Trip with Win over Rival Las Vegas Lights FC - Reno 1868 FC
- Lights FC Return to Cashman Field for First Home Match in Nearly Ten Months - Las Vegas Lights FC
- In Their Own Words: "The Intensity, the Attitude, the Communication, It Makes Me Feel Positive.Ã¢ÂÂ - Sacramento Republic FC
- Switchbacks FC Sign Two Rapids Academy Players - Colorado Springs Switchbacks FC
- Atlanta United 2 Announces 2020 Season Update - Atlanta United 2
- Match Preview: FC Tulsa at Rio Grande Valley FC - Saturday, August 1, 8 p.m. CT - FC Tulsa
- Match Preview: Republic FC V San Diego Loyal SC - Sacramento Republic FC
- Match Preview: Legion FC at North Carolina FC - Saturday, August 1 - Birmingham Legion FC
- Preview: Toros Host FC Tulsa on Saturday Night - Rio Grande Valley FC Toros
- Real Monarchs Travel to Colorado Springs Switchbacks FC on Saturday - Real Monarchs SLC
- LouCity, New Father Rasmussen Part Ways for 2020 - Louisville City FC
- MEMvSTL: Game Preview - Saint Louis FC
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.
Other Recent Rio Grande Valley FC Toros Stories
- Toros Release Updated Schedule
- Bert Ogden Arena to Serve as Polling Site for 2020 General Election
- RGV FC Postpone Saturday Night Matchup with Austin Bold
- Second Half Effort Not Enough as Toros Fall to SAFC
- Preview: RGV FC Ends Road Trip at San Antonio