Icehawks Sweep IHL Weekly Awards
PORT HURON, MI - Three Port Huron Icehawks players took home weekly awards from the International Hockey League for the week ending Sunday, December 13, the league announced on Monday. Center Nick Lindberg was named Player of the Week, forward Brandon Naurato was named Rookie of the Week and Larry Sterling took home Goaltender of the Week honors.
All three players played a big role as the Icehawks won all four games they played and moved into a tie for first place in the IHL standings.
Lindberg scored five points (1g, 4a) in four Icehawks wins this week. On Friday, he had two assists in regulation and also scored in a shootout to lead the Icehawks to a 4-3 win over the Lumberjacks. He also scored the game winner in the Icehawks 2-0 win over Fort Wayne on Saturday. He finished the week with a +3 rating.
The 29-year old native of Stockholm, Sweden was riding a four game point streak into Sunday's game in Muskegon, but had that streak halted as he was held scoreless. During the streak, he recorded one goal and eight assists.
Naurato finished the week with six points in just four games. He scored two goals and dished out four assists, giving him a total of 10 points in just eight games so far this season. He had two goals and an assist in Wednesday's win over Muskegon, with one of his goals being the game winner. He also scored in a shootout on Friday to boost the Icehawks to victory over Muskegon.
Sterling finished the week with a 2-0-0-0 record, beating the Fort Wayne Komets twice in three nights. He played a total of 119 minutes and 29 seconds, with 106 minutes and 34 seconds of consecutive shutout hockey against the Komets. He made a total of 63 saves out of 65 total shots for a.969 save percentage and a 1.00 goals against average.
Sterling helped the Icehawks earn their first shutout of the season Saturday, where he contributed to just over 59 minutes of shutout hockey before exiting the game due to an altercation with the Fort Wayne goaltender. The 27-year-old Lake Orion, Michigan native is currently ranked third among IHL goaltenders in goals against average (2.29) and save percentage (.920).
The Icehawks play a home-and-home series with the Flint Generals starting Tuesday in Port Huron, and close out the week when the Dayton Gems come to McMorran Arena Sunday.
Single game tickets for all Icehawks home games are on sale now at the McMorran Arena Box Office, any Ticket Master location or by phone. For more information, visit www.porthuronicehawks.com or call 810-966-3800.
Port Huron Icehawks IHL Awards, 2009-10 Season:
Mike Kinnie, Player of the Week
Cory Stillman, Player of the Week
Mickael Bedard, Rookie of the Week
Adam Russo, Goaltender of the Week
Nick Lindberg, Player of the Week, Brandon Naurato, Rookie of the Week, Larry Sterling, Goaltender of the Week
Mike Kinnie, Player of the Month and Larry Sterling, Goaltender of the Month
• Discuss this story on the International Hockey League 2 message board...
International Hockey League 2 Stories from December 14, 2009
- Icehawks Sweep IHL Weekly Awards - Port Huron Icehawks
- PrairieThunder Update - Bloomington PrairieThunder
- Icehawks Soar To Five Straight Victories - IHL 2
- IHL Announces Weekly Honors For Week Nine - IHL 2
- Red Hot Icehawks Look To Keep Streak Alive - Port Huron Icehawks
- Komets Host Mallards Friday - Fort Wayne Komets
- Generals Weekly Report - Flint Generals
- Generals Weekly Notes - Flint Generals
- 'Jacks Set to Hit the Road - Muskegon Lumberjacks
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.
Other Recent Port Huron Icehawks Stories
- Kinney Entertainment Discontinues Icehawks Organization
- Icehawks And E&A Credit Union Saves For Charity Program Raises $1100
- Port Huron Icehawks 2009-10 Season Review
- Stan Drulia Resigns As Icehawks Head Coach After Three Seasons
- Fort Wayne's Goal With 2.1 Seconds Remaining Forces Deciding Game