Icehawks Fall To Bloomington 5-1 at McMorran
PORT HURON, MI - The Port Huron Icehawks suffered their first home loss of the season on Saturday, falling 5-1 to the Bloomington PrairieThunder at McMorran Arena. Bloomington's Andrew Martin made 48 saves and Bill Bagron scored three goals and added one assist to lead the first place Thunder.
Mike Kinnie scored the lone Port Huron goal 3:09 into the third period, pulling Port Huron to 4-1. Kris Vernarsky and Derek Patrosso earned assists with hard work along the boards, finally freeing up the puck to Kinnie for a one time blast from the face off circle that beat Martin high over the shoulder. The PrairieThunder answered with a goal of their own at 11:29 when Jon Booras punched a lose puck in the crease over the line. Bagron and Holmberg had assists on the goal that made it a 5-1 game.
The second period opened with Bloomington's Bill Bagron scoring two goals less than three minutes apart to complete a three goal natural hat trick. Bagron scored unassisted just 47 seconds into the frame and then added a power play tally at 3:24 of the period from Craig MacDonald and Booras to give Bloomington a 4-0 advantage. Martin did the rest, frustrating Port Huron with 24 saves in the second period alone, giving him 36 stops in the first 40 minutes of play.
Martin turned aside 12 shots in the first period to hold the Icehawks off the board while the Prairie Thunder built a two goal lead. Former Icehawk Jamie Carroll opened the scoring with a goal five minutes into the first on assists from Ryan Finnerty and Robin Gomez. Late in the period, Bagron scored his first goal of the night on a rebound of a Booras shot to give the Thunder a 2-0 lead at 19:01. Brett Holmberg also assisted on the goal.
Port Huron travels to Dayton on Sunday for a 5 PM face-off against the Gems. The Icehawks return home on Wednesday, November 11 to battle the Muskegon Lumberjacks at 7 p.m. Veterans and active military will receive a free ticket to the game.
Single game tickets for all Icehawks home games are on sale now at the McMorran Arena Box Office, any Ticket Master location or by phone. For more information, visit www.porthuronicehawks.com or call 810-966-3800.
• Discuss this story on the International Hockey League 2 message board...
International Hockey League 2 Stories from November 7, 2009
- Icehawks Fall To Bloomington 5-1 at McMorran - Port Huron Icehawks
- Road woes continue for the Generals - Flint Generals
- Bloomington victorious over Port Huron - Bloomington PrairieThunder
- Mallards Drop Overtime Decision to Muskegon - Quad City Mallards
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.
Other Recent Port Huron Icehawks Stories
- Kinney Entertainment Discontinues Icehawks Organization
- Icehawks And E&A Credit Union Saves For Charity Program Raises $1100
- Port Huron Icehawks 2009-10 Season Review
- Stan Drulia Resigns As Icehawks Head Coach After Three Seasons
- Fort Wayne's Goal With 2.1 Seconds Remaining Forces Deciding Game