IceCaps Broadcaster Called to NL Hockey Hall of Fame
ST. JOHN'S, NL - The St. John's IceCaps are proud to congratulate IceCaps broadcaster Brian Rogers on his election to the Newfoundland and Labrador Hockey Hall of Fame.
Rogers has spent 41 years as a sports broadcaster in St. John's and Happy Valley-Goose Bay and is one of the most recognizable voices in provincial hockey history. For nearly 20 years, he has established himself as an exciting and entertaining play-by-play broadcaster for the St. John's Maple Leafs, Fog Devils and IceCaps. While there are no exact totals for the AHL games he has broadcasted during his career, it is noted he has missed only three of more than 1,000 games, one from laryngitis and two following the passing of his father during the 1998-99 season.
"Brian Rogers is one of the most passionate and skilled hockey broadcasters in the country," said Danny Williams, IceCaps President and CEO. "He wears his heart on his sleeve every game and has the unique ability to make every broadcast exciting for fans throughout Newfoundland and Labrador and the rest of the hockey world who tune in to hear his call. I applaud Rog for this well-deserved honour. He is a valued and beloved member of the IceCaps family and we could not be more proud."
Rogers will be inducted in the media category during a banquet scheduled for Saturday, June 11 at the Albatross Hotel in Gander. Others slated for induction include players Charlie Babstock of St. John's and Juan Strickland of Corner Brook and builder Wally Dalley of Twillingate.
• Discuss this story on the American Hockey League message board...
American Hockey League Stories from May 4, 2016
- Toronto Marlies Post Game Notes - Toronto Marlies
- Albany Devils Take Game 1 in Toronto - Albany Devils
- Penguins Blank Bears in Opener of Division Finals - Hershey Bears
- Sprong, DeSmith Steal the Show as Pens Beat Bears, 4-0 - Wilkes-Barre/Scranton Penguins
- Take Advantage of Hogs Hot Seats - Rockford IceHogs
- Portland Pirates Sign Letter of Intent to Relocate Franchise - Portland Pirates
- Griffins' Playoff Promotions Continue against Monsters - Grand Rapids Griffins
- Monsters Announce Second Round Broadcast Schedule - Cleveland Monsters
- Hershey Takes on W-B/Scranton after Tough Series with Pirates - Hershey Bears
- IceCaps Broadcaster Called to NL Hockey Hall of Fame - St. John's IceCaps
- Griffins Announce Finalists in Media Room Makeover Contest - Grand Rapids Griffins
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.