Ice control the Force
A lone goal was all that was needed as Jason Pawloski logged his second career shutout to harness the Fargo Force 2-0 on Friday from Scheels Arena.
The shutout was the second of Pawloski's USHL career and elevates the Omaha, NE native to a 3-0-1 record in his last four games. Jason Salvaggio and Dwyer Tschantz provided tallies for Indy while Scott Conway extended his point streak to an impressive ten games with an assist on the Tschantz goal.
Donning uniforms of the 1973 Fargo-Morehead Sugar Kings, the host Force seemed to struggle against a tough Indy defense that leads the league in shots against per game (24.87), registering only 12 scoring changes while giving up 37 shots on net.
The Eastern-Conference leading Ice established their dominance early in the contest by holding their opponents to only three shots in the opening period while peppering Force netminder Brendan Jensen with nine shots in the frame.
Savaggaio teamed up with Tyler Andrew to provided all the necessary offense for the win after the pair advanced the puck through the offensive zone and broke the scoring with a deflection from the low slot. Andrew's pass hit Salvaggio's tape just feet away from the open net before deflecting in for the 1-0 tally.
Tschantz's eighth goal of the season from Denis Smirnov and Conway put the visitors up 2-0 with 13 minutes left in the contest. The helper puts Smirnov on a four-game point and assist streak while recording six points (2G, 4A) in the stretch.
With the win, Indy maintains a four-point lead against the second place Dubuque Fighting Saints while extending their road win streak to a USHL season-high six games.
Indy returns to Scheels Arena on Saturday for round two of their Fargo road trip before finishing the final three games of their five-game away swing in Youngstown (1/22), Des Moines (1/24) and Cedar Rapids (1/25).
The Ice host the Team USA on Thursday, January 30 from Pan Am Pavilion on College Night at 7:05 pm. Students with a valid college ID will be eligible for special $5 admission and $1 beer prices. Must present a valid college ID to receive discounts.
• Discuss this story on the United States Hockey League message board...
United States Hockey League Stories from January 17, 2014
- Power Play Propels Muskegon Past the Under-18 Team on the Road - Muskegon Lumberjacks
- Tommy's Two Not Enough for Phantoms as O'Handley Ties Record - Youngstown Phantoms
- Lancers Top Storm in Rivals' Finale - Tri-City Storm
- Stampede Lose Overtime Heartbreaker to Sioux City, 1-0 - Sioux Falls Stampede
- Ice control the Force - Indiana Ice
- Lancers Cap Season Series With 4-1 Win Over Tri-City - Omaha Lancers
- Mchugh's Goal Gives Saints Third Straight Victory - Dubuque Fighting Saints
- Waterloo's P.K. O'Handley Ties USHL All-Time Coaching Victories Mark - USHL
- Record Night Exciting to the End - Waterloo Black Hawks
- Milestone Night for Hawks Boss - Waterloo Black Hawks
- Ice Game-Schedule Changes - Indiana Ice
- Stampede Add Slovakian Forward Simun to Roster - Sioux Falls Stampede
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.