Greenville Drive Praise Congressional Effort to Save Minor League Baseball
GREENVILLE, S.C. - The Greenville Drive today praised the newly created Save Minor League Baseball Task Force that has been organized by members of Congress to prevent Major League Baseball (MLB) from eliminating 42 minor league franchises, nearly one quarter of all minor league teams around the country.
"We appreciate the support of Rep. Lori Trahan (D.-Massachusetts), David McKinley (R-W.Va.) and the members of the task force in standing up for Minor League Baseball and speaking out against MLB's effort cast off thousands of jobs, reduce affordable, family-friendly entertainment and undermine grassroots support for our great game," said Drive General Manager Eric Jarinko.
While the Greenville Drive were not on the list of teams facing the possibility of elimination under the MLB proposal, the Drive will remain vigilant and united with all Minor League Baseball teams in opposition to the MLB plan.
Minor league teams are vital to the social and economic lives of millions of Americans; they support scores of local businesses and jobs, provide accessible entertainment, help promote tourism spending and donate tens of millions of dollars in charitable contributions.
"With this proposal, MLB is willing to break the hearts of dozens of communities across the country," said Jarinko. "We are going to resist this plan and are gratified that so many in Congress are willing to join with us."
• Discuss this story on the South Atlantic League message board...
South Atlantic League Stories from December 4, 2019
- Delmarva Shorebirds Praise Congressional Effort to Save Minor League Baseball - Delmarva Shorebirds
- Columbia Fireflies Praise Congressional Effort to Save Minor League Baseball - Columbia Fireflies
- Augusta GreenJackets Praise Congressional Effort - Augusta GreenJackets
- Greenville Drive Praise Congressional Effort to Save Minor League Baseball - Greenville Drive
- Lexington Legends Praise Congressional Effort - Lexington Legends
- Greensboro Grasshoppers Praise Congressional Effort to Save Minor League Baseball - Greensboro Grasshoppers
- Power Praises Congressional Effort to Save Minor League Baseball - West Virginia Power
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.
Other Recent Greenville Drive Stories
- West End Events at Fluor Field Unveils Fresh Look
- Step up to the Plate at Fluor Field on October 3
- Waldrop Inc. Announced as the Official HVAC & Plumbing Provider of the Greenville Drive
- Advanced Manufacturing and Engineering Event at the Drive Goes Virtual
- Drive Already Looking Forward to Next Year, Debut New Ticket Plan Options